GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i think im going to redo my exhaust once again....i started out with 70 series flows...then i went to 40 series, and now i have a cut off with my 40 series...i want to run something different...i was wondering what would be my best choice...i mean i dont have much done to the truck performance wise...just K&N intake, nelson tune and edelbrock headers....future mods will inclued ASP pulleys...but i was thinking about running true duals but i dont know if i can out here in cali....also what is the deal with X pipes...do they help or are they not worth it...and what purpose do they surve....yeah but i want something that isnt going to kill my lowend like flows and something that will sound good too...thanks yall

josh

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also what size piping should i run....and should i run full length exhaust or just dumps after the muffler...

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
Borla XR-1's!! 3 inch single, exit behind the right rear wheel. Or you could go with Magnaflow. As far as dumps go, ive seen people loose low end with dumps after the muffs. But if power is not the deciding factor, use dumps.

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
Come on man. Louder is better!! Plus the XR-1's flow really well and give good power gains.

·
My name's not Kevin
308 Posts
Ture duals are fine in Ca. as long as you still have 2 cats. You will lose some low end with duals and you would need an "X" pipe to regain some of that loss.
It is nice to hear that your spending your $$$ on your truck and not a bike, a jet ski, another truck, a car and everything else you have wanted and asked us about.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey kevin...i wsa wondering, dont our trucks have 3 cats...one off of each header and then it y's into another then the pipes go out to the muffler right....so how would i run true duals...

42 Posts
Just 2 cats. One on each side then the pipes y-together. Just take out the y to split the sides and run your pipe from there into an x pipe then your mufflers.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sweet thanks....now does anyone know what the truck will sound like with an X-pipe set up...

·
My name's not Kevin
308 Posts
2001 is correct. Just make sure that who ever does your work keeps the O2 sensors in. They are just after the cats. In Ca. they check to see if you have working cats installed. But it doesn't matter if you have single or dual exhaust as long as you have cats for each side.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so now will running true duals with an Xpipe sound goood..and will it help with performance at all.....

·
My name's not Kevin
308 Posts
You will gain some top end. But you will lose some low end. IMO losing any low end at all is bad. Trucks are heavy and need all the low end they can get.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey kevin...do you know if i would pass smog with true duals...

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
does anyone know though if my truck with the X- Pipe and true duals set up, will pass california emissions....

·
My name's not Kevin
308 Posts
it shouldn't effect emissions as long as you have your cats and O2 sensors hooked up and working. After the O2 sensor, your piping and muffles only provide an outlet for the exhaust and shouldn't change the fuel burning process. The O2 sensor on the other hand sends signals to the pcm that will effect emissions.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
or if you fail... you can try the ole heres a 50 pass it technique...

·
My name's not Kevin
308 Posts
or if you fail... you can try the ole heres a 50 pass it technique...
In the "old" days that would work. But with the new dyno check, I don't think that will work unless you can get the Tech to punch in your trucks numbers and put another truck on the mechine that will pass. I don't know anyone that will do that though. The fines are too steep.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts