GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6" Rough Country lift on a 98 Silverado 1500. Currently running 295/75/17 Hankook Dynapro M/T's(measure about 33.8") and have 3.42's. I want to regear and go to 4.10's, my only question is do I have to have the computer reprogrammed to accommodate the gear change? Sorry if it's a stupid question but I am new to regearing.

·
The Barber Shop
3,110 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, and do 4.56

Funny you would say that, I have a lot of people telling me this. However, I just don't know if it is a good idea. Like I said I am new to all this so correct me if I am wrong but the truck is driven a lot of city/highway mix. It is my only vehicle and when I am on the highway won't the 4.56 be something I won't like? I was also hoping to maybe gain a few mpg with the 4.10, if I go 4.56 won't I lose a few? I am only getting an average of about 11mpg right now.

As far as reprogramming the computer for the gears, I was almost certain this would be needed. What is the best/cheapest way to go about this? The guy that is regearing for me is a retired local guy and from what I hear, he is good at what he does. However, I asked him today and he said that he has no way of reprogramming the computer. He is retired and has no access to the shop where he used to work.

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Hey guys, I am looking to do the same for my 95...the older style with TBI and it's not OBDII....How do I go about getting my speedometer changed? It's been off forever and I have 35's/4.56...Is it a matter of reprogramming or what? Thought it might be different for me since mine isn't all computer controlled and more old school....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts