GMC Truck Forum banner

21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
A message from Jason's Uncle.

I've been reading most of the recent posts about Jason on several forums the last few days. It's hard to fathom that he has so many friends out there. I just can't believe he's gone. I wish to thank everyone from the bottom of my heart that has or is helping out.

This nightmare started on Thursday night about 9:30pm when my wife, Debbie's sister, received a call from her. Debbie was in a hesterical state and it took about 15 minutes to figure what had happened, Carrie was one of the first person's Debbie called. I was just hit with the worse news I could ever remember. Jason and I were not close, but my wife and he were. As Carrie tried to calm Debbie down, I put on my work face and tried to deal with the news.

As Carrie was sobbing, I went to the rear of our property where Jason's grandmother lives. I was the one that had to tell her. Besides my 7 year old daughter, Jason was her only other grandchild and the light of her life. I've been a cop for over 23 years and that has been the most difficult thing I have ever done.

While walking to her house I was trying to think of the right thing to say but it just blurted out when she answered the door. "There's been an accident, Jason's dead". We walked to my house where Carrie was still with Debbie on the phone. The rest of the night was a blurr as I made flight and car reservations to get Carrie and her mom to Bakersfield ASAP.

I still had'nt lost it until my wife called me the next day and asked me to look at Jason's memorial page and save some of the photos on the forum links. I've had to stay in Washington and care for my daughter and all the animals were have, I will always regret not going to the memorial until the day I pass.

We knew he had been building rock crawlers , but had not known to what extent. With everyone of the posts I read, I just kept crying and crying. More than I ever had in my entire life. Now that's he's gone, I wish I had been closer to him. In seeing all the photos I wish I could have shared the times with him. I've been such an ass all these years. This hurts, really hurts. I can't amagine what the guys and gals are going through that were with him when he passed. All I can think of is that he died in a beautiful place doing what he loved with the people he loved.

To the folks that did the CPR, Thank you for trying to bring him back. I have done that 2 times before on drowning victims and it's the hardest thing a person can attempt to do. Even though it did not save him, you are life savers in my heart and God bless each one of you.

To the rest of the people that Jason touched, could you post stories and any photos so the rest of the family can share in. The only other thing I can think of right now is,,,,,I belong to an association of police motorcycle officers called NAMOA. We compete every year at our annual comference and have an award for the rookie of the year. With this we have a perpetual trophy called the Richie Kochran award. Richie was a rookie motor cop who was killed in the line of duty. So for several years now the trophy has been awarded and the persons name is engraved on the trophy. I would like to see this in an annual builders award for your trucks and the winner given the Jason Payne trophy. I would also like to see a portion of the trail that he was on named after him. I'm sure he would refuse if he were here, but I think it would be a fitting tribute to him as well as Noel. A memorial plaque at the place he passed would also be a fitting memorial, I would like to some day travel there and visit with him.

And lastly, please hug, kiss and tell all the important people around you that share your life that you love them. They can be gone in an instant. Don't wait until the next time because there may not be one. Even the one's you don't think are important, because you will find out they were, there's no going back or do overs, death is forever.

I just wish I would have shared more time on this earth with him. Jason I'm so sorry and I will miss you.

Thank you and God bless

John

21 - 21 of 21 Posts