GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my blazer, the bolts that hold the top on have a VERY strange shape to me. They are actually fairly rounded, but in the middle have a star shaped design with a small circular post coming out of the middle. Every other blazer I have ever seen has the hex shaped bolts. Anyone know where I can find a bit that would fit in it to remove these bolts when the time comes to take the top off??? I guess if worse comes to worse, I could drop by the stealership and see what they say...

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
from what i have heard there is a special key to remove those tops. ask texK5(when he reregisters) he has become an expert on K5s lately

·
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I really didn't know if it was something that most auto parts stores would have or if it was a GM thing. I had just never seen it before, and don't doubt that it is an 89-91 thing. I know my buddy with an 88 has the hex bolts. Ill have to check Advanced today to see if they got it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
RedneckDude said:
Yeah, I really didn't know if it was something that most auto parts stores would have or if it was a GM thing. I had just never seen it before, and don't doubt that it is an 89-91 thing. I know my buddy with an 88 has the hex bolts. Ill have to check Advanced today to see if they got it.
Now that I think about it, my '90 K5 Jimmy had hex bolts.

·
Wal-mart sucks
30 Posts
97Silverado said:
Now that I think about it, my '90 K5 Jimmy had hex bolts.
I know i've seen the same type of bolt heads on urnial seperators. yes i get bored very easily. :crazy:

·
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Timberwolve81 said:
I know i've seen the same type of bolt heads on urnial seperators. yes i get bored very easily. :crazy:
Anyone put urnial seperators up that would like to give me the key to these???

·
Good Ash, or Bad Ash?
157 Posts
When I had my Blazer, I picked up the special key from Napa. Came in a set of ten for about 4 bucks. Still didn't like the bolts though, so I picked up a full set of new bolts so I could just use a ratchet.

·
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alrighty, cool. That doesn't sound too bad, the set of 10 for $4. Even I can afford that. But I agree, after this summer, ill probably pick up a set of the regular bolts. As of right now, I'm not a big fan of these kind.

·
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NastyGMC said:
you cant pull that top off right now! its stil winter! :)
I know I can't really ride around with it off...but I might start sandin it smooth soon...and it would be easier to do it if I took it off...and I wanna be prepared for when it starts to get a warm again.

·
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, it is pretty cold here (to me aleast). Its been gettin into the 20s most nights and its been about 40 during the day some days...so its been pretty chilly. I can't wait till the first warm day tho...topless riding gonna be fun.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Timberwolve81 said:
Why the hell are you spending that much time in a urinal that you get bored? I wont ask what your doing....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts