GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i removed my mouldings on my 2000 silverado and now theres this hair sized glue line all around the outer portion of where the glue tape was. i cant get the damn thing off for the life of me. ive tried scraping it with my fingernail, 3M adhesive remover and another brand as well. all im getting it a "squeaky clean" sound when i rub the stuff on. what else can be done...besides sanding and waxing?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I may be misunderstanding you, but has your truck ever been re-painted? Me and my ex took all of the emblems and pin stripes off of her car and on the rear part of the car we had this hairline size of glue outlining the pin stripe and it turned out the car had been repainted in that spot and they just taped over the pin stripe. I'm just saying since you can't get it off it could be clear coat.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
way2hi said:
I may be misunderstanding you, but has your truck ever been re-painted? Me and my ex took all of the emblems and pin stripes off of her car and on the rear part of the car we had this hairline size of glue outlining the pin stripe and it turned out the car had been repainted in that spot and they just taped over the pin stripe. I'm just saying since you can't get it off it could be clear coat.

werd, thats why mine aint debadged, one side had to be painted, and they just tapped over the moldings :flame:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
werd, thats why mine aint debadged, one side had to be painted, and they just tapped over the moldings
I have a friend that has a truck that his dad got for him when he was 16 and had the color changed, the paint looks real good, but the body shop taped over ALL of the emblems, so it's a totally different color under them.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nah, its not repainted....but im finally getting the stuff off. the bottles say to let it soak for 3-5 minutes and that didnt help so i let it soak for like 15 minutes while i worked on the other side of the truck. when i came back to that side it had almost completely vanished (dissolved) so i just took a sponge and some soapy water and it call came off just fine. i guess i have to work on my patience a little more!

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Good to hear it all came off...it can be scary debadging a lil bit older truck, esp if you don't know its history...i knew mine was repainted before i got it, so i took a risk when i debadged mine...but luckily they took the badges off on mine and sprayed it like that...didn't mask off anything. debadging makes a world of difference tho, and best thing is its a free mod...well, maybe a couple dollars for some adhesive remover if you care to buy that...but thats about the only thing u have to buy...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts