GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
restorod
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its a little hard to tell the difference sitting on my rock driveway,but i went ahead and removed the spacer...it is actually only an 1.25" thickness and not the 2" that i thought..it was an easy removal and the spacer is cast with a recess and a protruing nipple to keep everything in line as a locator,but the springs have a protruding nipple just like the spacer,so it simply drops down into the locator hole in the saddle which is welded on the axle..fairly simple to do..just unbolt bottom of shock..jack up frame..loosen nuts on ubolts until they are almost off...lift up on springs enough to get the spacer up out of the locator hole and remove...add some spacers or washers on ubolts,i used about an inch worth on each one,and retighten ubolts and making sure that the locator pin slips into locator hole in perch and retighten everything and install shock...i did mine one side at a time and it went smooth...i did wire brush my ubolt threads and a shot of penetrating oil to make sure there was no thread galling.....still cant get pixs to work,:pissed: but will keep trying.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
its a little hard to tell the difference sitting on my rock driveway,but i went ahead and removed the spacer...it is actually only an 1.25" thickness and not the 2" that i thought..it was an easy removal and the spacer is cast with a recess and a protruing nipple to keep everything in line as a locator,but the springs have a protruding nipple just like the spacer,so it simply drops down into the locator hole in the saddle which is welded on the axle..fairly simple to do..just unbolt bottom of shock..jack up frame..loosen nuts on ubolts until they are almost off...lift up on springs enough to get the spacer up out of the locator hole and remove...add some spacers or washers on ubolts,i used about an inch worth on each one,and retighten ubolts and making sure that the locator pin slips into locator hole in perch and retighten everything and install shock...i did mine one side at a time and it went smooth...i did wire brush my ubolt threads and a shot of penetrating oil to make sure there was no thread galling.....still cant get pixs to work,:pissed: but will keep trying.
not to burst your bubble, but u bolts shouldn't be reused. I also don't like the idea of stacking washers like that...

·
restorod
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not to burst your bubble, but u bolts shouldn't be reused. I also don't like the idea of stacking washers like that...
i normally wouldnt re-use them,but the truck is a week old and only has a few miles on it...as far as the washers,that was only till i could get to work today and make solid spacers,which i will replace tonight...you are correct though and i appreciate:worship: you pointing that out to anyone doing the same thing and especially if the truck has some miles on it....thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts