GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know exactly how to get it all out? I only know how to get shit like the bezel and cluster out.

I can see screws and bolts everywhere and I could probably wing it, but some things I dont know, like the glove compartment, and how to get the e brake release lever off. what about all the wiring?

Also has anyone drove around without the dash in? I know if I have my 4wd controller discounted the truck automatically goes into 4wd and when I turn the front end clunks and stuff. should I just leave it parked while its out?

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
Ive never pulled a 95+ dash but just put the switch back on and let it hang from the wires and put the cluster back in and just let it kinda sit there. Thats what I did.

·
Member #1303
5,159 Posts
Anyone know exactly how to get it all out? I only know how to get shit like the bezel and cluster out.

I can see screws and bolts everywhere and I could probably wing it, but some things I dont know, like the glove compartment, and how to get the e brake release lever off. what about all the wiring?

Also has anyone drove around without the dash in? I know if I have my 4wd controller discounted the truck automatically goes into 4wd and when I turn the front end clunks and stuff. should I just leave it parked while its out?
glovebox comes out with a sideways yank
ebrake comes off with a good pull, its got a 1 way tab
wiring should all be behind the plastic

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anyone else? ive got nothing to do this week and its gunna be nice out, figured i might as well try something on the tahoe.

edit thank you tharfyus

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shit, what about the passengerside airbag?

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what you got up your sleeves? take pics and make a writeup!
up my sleeves? well i havent showered since friday so, ive got some stinky pits!

I have nothing to do all week. I want my entire interior black. I'm starting with the dash. And you bet I'll be taking a lot of pictures and doing a write up :D

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
are you smoothing it all
i really dont know. I was originally but then I realized how much fucking sanding that is. and since I'm doing it with rattle can I realize it would be much easier to just leave it textured, but wont look as good. my bezel is already smoothed.

I want the entire interior black but its going to be a long process. for now I was to get most of the plastic pieces painted and/or smoothed and painted

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no, I already have some pieces of my interior painted

interiordone004.jpg

im talking about having the entire dash painted, like this

2006_0412consoledone0003.gif

2298319_14_full.gif

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think im gunna go go ahead and sand it smooth. It may take a while, butI know i'll be much happier in the end

project starts tomorrow

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Disconnect the battery first, pull the cover off, take the screws out of the air bag and unplug it.
ive got the battery disconnected. the cover just pulls right off?

·
hotdogfarts
2,287 Posts
the airbag cover DOES NOT pull off, the whole assembly is bolted up behind the dash, it's a PITA....but you will pull all day, yanking that cover will do you know good.

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i gave up anyway so, no matter

·
Under Construction
8,417 Posts
just cover everything up and tape it off imo and do the airbag peice while in the truck, if its that much of a pita

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
just cover everything up and tape it off imo and do the airbag peice while in the truck, if its that much of a pita
my sisters boyfriend suggested that but thats pretty wild dont you think? it be one hell of a tape off job :insane:

but in the meantime, while I had the govebox and lower dash pieces off, I'm gunna go ahead and sand them smooth and paint them black so I at least did some worthwhile work today.

BTW i went to autozone and got the Haynes Repair Manual for my truck, it didnt tell me shit! there was nothing about pulling the dash out or the steering column :nono:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts