GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you remove one of the springs from the stock leafspring pack to lower your truck? If so, which one and how much will it lower it?

·
Registered
489 Posts
I wouldn't do that because it will change the ride quality. Why not just fork out the $60.00 for some shackles?

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
you can take out the overlaod leaf with out it really affecting ride but really shjouldnt tow or haul anything without it...

shackle kit is much easier to iunstall and deal with....

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
If you take out the overload you lose a lot of the load capacity and you'll end up with more wrap.

You need to remove one of the leafs between the main leaf and the overload and you'll more than likely need to replaced the center pin.

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
dont do it:read: ive learned from this mistake. trust me. just pay the cash for a kit that retains a stock-like ride. my truck rode terribly like that:(

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
tfunit did this to his truck to drop his and extra 1" (5" total)or so and it rides like poo bc he doesnt have a notch

·
Registered
61 Posts
I wouldn't even take the over load out for the extra inch.Not worth the capacity that you lose and it makes it a little more of a springy ride.I don't know any other way to put it than springy.Sorry.I did it and put it back in like 2 days later after i had 4 people in my truck.I rode in an SS Silverado in the back seat where the guy did this and it was like riding a bouncy ball down the highway.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I already have a 2" shackle. But I want a 2/4 drop total and was thinking drop spindles in front...but thought instead of buying 2" leaf's w/the 2" shackles, removing 1 of the springs in the leaf pack would be cheaper and not affect towing as much as running a 4" leaf.

·
Sweet bottom num nums
496 Posts
i think it depends if you change your shocks or not, i removed the leaf above the over load leaf it felt smoother not so stiff, but i have an 89 obs that had seen better days before i got it. with this and a flip kit and my doestech's it should be better than stock, but you will lose towing capacity, but the most my truck see's is a sport quad, so no biggie.
oh and i did have to cut the old cetering pins out and make new ones out of grade 8 bolts.

·
AAAAHHHH
3,595 Posts
I removed 3 Leafs. And I have Beltech Shackles. Doesn't ride too bad. But I don't mind to much for shitty ride. It rides good enough for me. I only drive it 2-3 times a week if that.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I removed 3 Leafs. And I have Beltech Shackles. Doesn't ride too bad. But I don't mind to much for shitty ride. It rides good enough for me. I only drive it 2-3 times a week if that.
you need to get that thing bagged already:worship:

·
AAAAHHHH
3,595 Posts
you need to get that thing bagged already:worship:
Working on it bro.

I will be doing it at my shop. I got an Okay for me to leave my truck in my stall for a couple days if needed.

We just have been super busy latly and alot of random shit coming in and clogging all our stalls. I have two Rear Main Seals to do on a DT466 in School Bus next week. Then I have to pull/cut out a Cat DI out of a Bus after that.

So it all relies on my shop status. Since I have full access to pretty much everything. Just need an open stall for a few days.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey I Have A Belltech Two Inch Hanger That Will Fit Your Truck!!!
Thanks...but I have welded hangers. I'm forced to use either 2" or 4" leafs, because I don't want to notch the frame for the flip kit. I don't tow shit anyway, but I don't wanna be bounce down the road, either.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I removed the stock 2" blocks, the bottom over load leaf and added 2" drop shackles. I lost my nice cushy Sierra Denali ride. It sucks cause now when I hit bumps, the rear end bounces like 2 - 3 times after I go over them. I am thinking I need to go back to stock, purchase a full out air bag setup for the rear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts