GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
My name's not Kevin
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not hard at all. Just take your time.
1st get everything togather.
rags, body solvent, fishing line or floss, plastic bags and a bucket to sit on.

DCP_0009.gif

Protect the area your working on. I used plastic trash bags to cover all plastic areas just to be safe.
DCP_0010.gif

Spray solvent all around your badge. Wipe off any that runs off. You might want to wear glove and goggles just to be safe.
DCP_0011.gif

Let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes then respray it again. Make sure you clean any that runs down you truck.

Now take your floss or fishing line and start on the smallest edge.
DCP_0013.gif

DCP_0015.gif

Once you get enough pulled up with your string you can then grap it and pull it off.
DCP_0016.gif

Now you need to remove all the tape thats left on your truck. I used 2 ways to do this. 1st was by rubbing it with my thumb. 2nd was by spraying more solvent on a rag and rubbing it with the rag. Both ways worked well.
DCP_0017.gif

DCP_0019.gif

You might need to apply some extra solvent to soften the tape. Just make sure you clean any over spray that might run down your truck.
DCP_0018.gif

From here, Spray some more solvent on a rag and work the area until all the glue from the tape is gone.
Wipe it clean. Rewax it and your done. It took me about a 1/2 hour total per badge.
DCP_0021.gif

·
Registered
86 Posts
This also works on molding as well. Also for removing the sticky tape stuff, they make a tool that fits in a drill that looks alot like a big eraser. I thought the eraser tool might be a little harsh, but a close friend at a local body shop told me they use one all the time and it doesn't hurt at all.

Good tips though.

·
My name's not Kevin
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm working on loading my pics onto photobucket. I should have pics updated here and on the vette servo install soon.

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
whats a solvent?

·
Need to go faster!
376 Posts
kevindepot said:
Now you need to remove all the tape thats left on your truck. I used 2 ways to do this. 1st was by rubbing it with my thumb. 2nd was by spraying more solvent on a rag and rubbing it with the rag. Both ways worked well.
DCP_0017.gif
Great article...it anwered all my questions.

Just one thing to add, using your thumb to rub off the sticky stuff is painful.
I'll take some pics of my ride debadged when I get home and throw in a pic of the 3 blisters that I have on only 2 fingers.
What I ended up doing by the time I finished was using a credit card wrapped in a thin soft cloth (like a white t-shirt) and use the edge of the credit card to "pry" the sticky up. It kind of sticks to the shirt and comes off pretty well that way.

·
Needs a truck
454 Posts
That is a good tech atricle, and using your finger does hurt, i got a blister on mine form doin it. Also when i removed my sticky stuff i jsut used a blow dryer and a razor blade, works good, but takes a lil longer.

·
Handshake Drugs
310 Posts
Be careful if you use a blow dryer. I put a nice dent in mine cause i got er too hot. :bawl:

·
Registered
820 Posts
Nice tech KevinDepot, and the eraser does work well you can take those ugly factory decals off the side of trucks easy without hurting the paint with the easer.

·
Registered
785 Posts
mine came off easy, I just peeled up an edge and slowly pulled on them and they came off didn't leave that much glue, the tailgate is a PITA

1 - 20 of 73 Posts