GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Resident Metal Head
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm finally getting my truck lowered Friday.
Doing 7" in the back with a flipkit and I'm putting helper bags on there.

Question is in regards with the bump stops. I know most suggest cutting off the bump stops instead of going with the ones provided in the kit.

I want to make sure which part we are talking about.

Just the bump stop:

bumpgone.gif

or the entire bump stop bracket all together?

wholething.gif

If the entire bracket, any suggestions on paint to go over top of that? Basically any outdoor/automotive rattlecan?

·
Registered
143 Posts
The entire bumpstop bracket, like the second pic shows. I just did mine like 2 weeks ago, my advice is to cut the bracket around the weld with a disc grinder and use an air hammer to separate the bracket from the frame. As far as paint goes, Autozone sells a thick undercoat paint similar to the paint that is used on the frame from the factory. What kit are you going with?

·
dodgin' potholes
786 Posts
I'm not sure about NNBS but it should be the same as NBS. For NBS we just remove the bracket(which bolts on) that bumpstop attaches to & then attach the bumpstop directly to the frame rail. Looks like your bracket is welded on. What you can do is just cut a nub or two off the rubber bumpstop as needed for clearance.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Unfortunately, on the NNBS the bracket is welded on not bolted on. Use the bumpstop provided with the kit, and place it on the rear part of the flat area on your axle so you will be able to put the bolt through without the axle being in the way.

·
Resident Metal Head
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wanted to cut off the entire thing to be honest. It would give me a few extra inches of travel over speedbumps and such.

The helperbags should help stop it from slapping my axle, or at least that was my thinking.

Upfront and outback is an McG kit. Helper bags as well are McG

·
Registered
143 Posts
That is a high quality kit. I did the same kit but with a 1" lift shackle to make it a 4/6, but for some reason after the install my front end still sits about 1" higher than the rear. Tim is trying to help me figure out what could've happened. Did you buy your kit from Tim? He is an awesome guy and helped me through pretty much the whole install when I had a question because the instructions are so vague. Tim, thanks for the awesome advice you gave and the service after the sale!

·
Registered
607 Posts
I just took mine off last night... I used a makita grinder with a thin cutoff wheel... just be sure to only cut the welds... try not to cut past the weld or bracket or u will cut into the frame... (may need a chisle to start prying the bracket from the frame) then I grinded my work smooth, primered the bare metal, and sprayed flat black spray paint...

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
:word: and watch out for the lines on the back of the frame rail on the drivers side.

I dunno why thats welded so damn much all around like that.

·
Resident Metal Head
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good to know. Thank you!

Yea it seemed overkill when I looked at the bump stop. hense me asking. heh.

11 hours and counting until the lowering begins.
4ish years of planning and saving for this
:pepper:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts