GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Want a Cowl Hood OBS !
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my '95 gmc x-cab i'm pulling the cab off to sandblast the whole frame, but dont know what to set it on, i ahve a good idea on how i'm going to get the frame out from under it but not on what i can set it on, i was going to remove the rear axle and put casters the leafs and drag it out, any ideas on what to set it on?

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
stoneagemaxx said:
on my '95 gmc x-cab i'm pulling the cab off to sandblast the whole frame, but dont know what to set it on, i ahve a good idea on how i'm going to get the frame out from under it but not on what i can set it on, i was going to remove the rear axle and put casters the leafs and drag it out, any ideas on what to set it on?
If it's gonna be off for a while, go through the trouble of making yourself a cab dollie. Here's my '55 cab on my dollie and then pictures of the guys cab and dollie that told me how to make it. Obviously the dimensions would have to be changed for your truck but it should be easy to figure out, use the frame width as a guide.

·
Want a Cowl Hood OBS !
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how would you recomend taking off the cab and getting it on the dolly and then putting it back on the frame?

·
Want a Cowl Hood OBS !
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'd rather not strip the whole cab

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Well, if you coild jack the body off the frame, and then support it from the sides, you could roll the frame out from under it. I have to guess a Chevy Extended cab with all the doors and glass is gonna weigh a ton though ... you really need a lift, lift the body off and roll the chassis out.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
We used a forklift at philmont...granted it was a salvage truck, but it worked :D

I would jack up the cab, put cinder blocks outside the frame on the floor high enough so they would support the cab, then throw a couple of 2x4's across the cinder blocks and under the cab, put a couple blocks on the 2x4s (prolly best to screw them on) so that it rests on the underside of the cab, not the body panels. Then roll the frame out and move the cab onto a dollie or something.

·
Want a Cowl Hood OBS !
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright thanks guys, i'm either gunna try stands or cinderblocks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts