GMC Truck Forum banner

removing factory chrome wheel cover?

Question 
31K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  silverado3521 
#1 ·
hey guys i just got me a set 17" z71 wheels that are the "bullet hole" style. i got them because i was wanting black ones and figured i could just pop the chrome off, well that is not the case. they appear to have no clips and the only thing i can think of is that they have some glue on them. if anybody knows for sure how to get these things off let me know.:hmm:

#4 ·
your a little far for a trade there silver06rado and besides i am looking for the black version which are hidden under the chrome. Sittinphat i thought they were pressed but they do not overlap or hook on to the metal rim beneath anywhere i can find and also they were on there the wheels were balanced and the weights sit on top which makes me think there is more to it.

#7 ·
Ok so I just got off the phone with the local Chevy Dealer and he says that the cap comes from the factory with the cover on it and is mounted to the wheel at the factory because there is no part number for that item. ARGH!! So it looks like I will just have to go and try to rip them off, I mean they are only plastic so the could not cause any real damage to the steel wheel under it maybe just a cosmetic scratch or two. Anybody agree/disagree with me or have a contact at the manufacturer who they can contact.

#8 ·
i sya just pry them off, most likely some kind of glue/adhesive so start at one side and work your way around until there off, never done it but seen them with out it so has to come off

#9 ·
ok just an update i finally got the covers off a while back and man were they a pain. there is a bead of some adhesive around every hole and one around the lugs and one around the outermost part of the wheel face. i still need to get a small detail sander in order to get more of the adhesive off but i hit them with some black paint and they do not look to bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.