GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Minitrucker
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering about removing some leafs, if I were to take some out which ones to take? I know some of them have to be for extra load capacity but I dont haul much, So, what are your experiences?

·
Registered
861 Posts
I pulled the bottom short leaf off (overload leaf). Still rides the same. I installed airbags to make up for the loss of towing. I am thinking about putting the overload back in and taking out the middle leaf. But that scares me cause then I basically have a mono leaf and I wouldn't want it to break.

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
i'd suggest finding an alternative way to lower your truck in the back. don't you just have shackles? get some hangers and put your shackle at 1".

·
TEAM WHITE
401 Posts
I have been thinking about this myself, not neccisarily to lower my truck, but more to take the harshness out. When I hit speed bumps the rear is just a lot stiffer than the front.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I have welded on hangers so I removed the 2" block and did 2" drop shackles. But since I removed the oem hitch, bumper and spare tire, I only got a 1" drop out of the shackle.

·
Under Construction
8,417 Posts
if you are to remove a spring, the only one to take out would be the overload, which is the bottom-most spring, or the one that the ends do not touch the pack.

·
Registered
861 Posts
if you are to remove a spring, the only one to take out would be the overload, which is the bottom-most spring, or the one that the ends do not touch the pack.
I removed the bottom overload but I am think about putting it back in and removing the longer bottom leaf to get another inch of drop. But I am worried about the main top leaf breaking if I am towing my boat. I do have air helper bags.

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
i removed the middle leaf on mine back before my 4/6. simply drop the rear end from the leaf springs, unbolt the spring pack and pry the metal 'clips' from around the top spring and remove it. i wouldnt suggest doing this however as it rides terrible:read:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts