GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have everything else unbolted but I can't get the pit/idler to break free from the center link…Do I need to use a pickle fork? Is there any other way or should i just go buy one and call it a day?
2004 silverado

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I got the idler arm off but the pitman arm is still stuck on their. I've tried a pickle fork and no luck….anybody have any recommendations?

·
Scratchin' Gravel
130 Posts
You can rent a pitman arm puller from autozone or advanced auto. I had just as much trouble getting the new pitman arm back on as I did getting it off, it's just a little shit

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea man Im getting super frustrated lol. Well i have the puller but I'm having trouble getting the thing off the actually center linkage, not the steering box. The idler broke free when i smacked the linkage but the fuggin pitman won't budge!

·
Scratchin' Gravel
130 Posts
I ended up using the puller and the pickle fork + hammer to force it off. Are you sure it isn't binding on anything else?

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
puller and big little hammer you can get in there... put tension on with puller then hit with hammer... don't let fall on face

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright thx for the replies guys, Hopefully i can break it free with the puller.…..would a torch be a bad idea? Im replacing it so idc if i destroy it

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,692 Posts
I would not use a torch. The puller should break it freed in not a bfh would.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well still no luck. Gonna try dad's makita electric hammer thingy. lol….An air hammer with a pickle fork would be very nice right now. Definitely an investment for the future.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
I used a small propane torch after trying with a pickle fork, BFH, and etc.

As long as you're careful with the torch you're fine. Just clean off all the greasy crap. and keep wires and lines out of the way.

heat it up for a few bit, then a whack on the stud with a 2lb sledge did it for me.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, thats exactly what i ended up dong. She's free, but guess what…The actual arm won't come off the f'n steering box now! Of course! I have the puller tight as f*** and its starting to bend the arms on it and the friggen thing still won't budge. Can I bang on the arms or will I f something up in the steering box…thats the last thing I need haha
Also if I put some heat on it will it f up the seal on the steering box?

·
Banned
4,048 Posts
This is the best kind because it wont bend and it worked for me.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I broke a puller trying to get mine off. Glad AA didn't make me pay for it. I had to cut a slit in the arm then use the puller to get it off.

Soak it with some PB Blaster and give it a day or so.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I broke a puller trying to get mine off. Glad AA didn't make me pay for it. I had to cut a slit in the arm then use the puller to get it off.

Soak it with some PB Blaster and give it a day or so.
How did you cut a slit into it? maybe I could just cut a slit in each side and break it apart? :think:

·
Banned
4,048 Posts
I got the pic off of WalMart's website. Mine I got from a friend

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got the son of bitch. Little bit of heat and it zipped right off.
Looks like its a 4-spline….where should I order the new moog ones? Called advanced and they want over a hundred for each. Anyone kno where to get them cheaper online?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts