GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
patio furniture breaker
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i've got some scratches in my mirror.

we had a company come in and paint the roof of our building here at work. they had us moving our cars around for a couple days. well the last day, my truck and 3 ohter cars got covered in nice white overspray. so, we called the guy. he says, 'oh, that stuff will wash right off.' so i got the car wash and no dice. still there. i even tried to get close with the spray nosel, still nothing. not even one popped off. so we call them again the next morning. anyway, they pay to have all the cars detailed at the local chevy dealer (which is where my wife works). so, anyway, mine was the last to be done. the guy tells me mine was the hardest. says they washed it, waxed, and had to rub the bed down with de-natured rubbing aclohol (wtf is that?) well, i noticed the mirrors had a weird haze kinda. well, now it looks like some dumb monkey used a razor blade to get the overspray off my mirrors.

damn, sorry that was longer then i wanted it to be.

so, how do i remove fine swirl scratches caused be a razor blade? its really noticable when you driving and the sun is shining into the mirrors. i tried some mequires srcath x stuff in the black tube, but it did little to nothing.

you guys gotta help me. new glass from the dealer is like 40 bucks a piece.

plus, i think its been to long to go back to the detail shop and have them do anything. plus now my confidence in them is shot. truck looked good for awhile, now its needs some lovin. just waiting on the weather to get nice, then i'm gonna go get some clay and wax the bitch.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Side mirrors can be tough. They tend to be too soft for 0000 steel wool, yet some light polishes dont do much. IMO, you may want to just cough up the 40 bux for new glass as opposed to spending 20 bux trying products that may not work.
Check your pm too :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
yeah, those things are sensitive.

the jackass that had my SS before me put those round convex mirrors on them and as an inexperianced youth i tried to use some steel wool to get the adhesive off.....:whip:

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
i removed overspray from my side mirrors with a razor and it didnt take much for them to get scratched up...you will probably have to buy new ones if it bothers you that much

·
patio furniture breaker
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i removed overspray from my side mirrors with a razor and it didnt take much for them to get scratched up...you will probably have to buy new ones if it bothers you that much
you can hardly see them when you look at the mirror, but when the sun hits them while your driving, they look like ass.

i called the dealer again. gave them my vin and there trying to tell me that i have to buy the entire mirror assembly because my truck is a base model with no power, or signal. i dont need another set, i already have one. my second pair are just plain, no power, but they're already full painted, just the wrong color. which is no big deal cause i still need to get my rollpan painted so i'm going to get the mirrors done at the same time. i might even sand my tailgate handle and have it sprayed too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts