GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't really happy with my bezel and handle, there were sanding scratches in it and some trash .. so today I took them off and wet sanded them with 220, then 320, then 400 until nice and smooth. I sprayed them with filler primer, once that dried I wet sanded with 400 and then spray 3 coats of pewter on, let that dry and wet sanded carefully with 600, then I sprayed on 2 coats of clear .. I think it came out real nice, especially since I was using Duplicolor rattlecan ... I have a pic of my first try at taking the texture out and painting, and then my result this time :head:

BEFORE

AFTER

·
Registered
144 Posts
looks really good - mine will be shaved in a week :drool:

·
Plead The First
2,593 Posts
Does dupicolor make spray cans to match GM paint codes? That'd be reallly handy for small things like door handles.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gotta(be)low said:
Does dupicolor make spray cans to match GM paint codes? That'd be reallly handy for small things like door handles.
Well thats what mine is, it's Metallic Pewter, the same color as my truck. Thats Duplicolor's whole thing, that they can Duplicate Factory colors.

http://www.duplicolor.com

·
My name's not Kevin
308 Posts
Looks good.
I finished my Wifes door handles this week and doing the tail gate handle now.

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
bcubed said:
Well thats what mine is, it's Metallic Pewter, the same color as my truck. Thats Duplicolor's whole thing, that they can Duplicate Factory colors.

http://www.duplicolor.com

That's clean. I'm gunna do that for sure. Where did you get the Rattle can from? did you have to order it online or what?

and is there a paint code for that color?.. or Just called Metallic Pewter?

·
My name's not Kevin
308 Posts
That's clean. I'm gunna do that for sure. Where did you get the Rattle can from? did you have to order it online or what?
Kragen Auto parts.
Dupli-Color Truck,Van & SUV. P/N T408 Pewter Mcc.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
kevindepot said:
Kragen Auto parts.
Dupli-Color Truck,Van & SUV. P/N T408 Pewter Mcc.
Yeah, I used the Duplicolor Filler Primer, Paint and Clear ... that way I figured they all should be compatible and no bubbling.

·
Registered
89 Posts
kevindepot said:
Looks good.
I finished my Wifes door handles this week and doing the tail gate handle now.
How hard is it to sand/paint door handles? Do you have to take them apart to do it right?

Same with the tailgate handle do you have to take it apart, before sanding and painting?

·
Registered
56 Posts
looks good :)

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
okie_in_cali said:
How hard is it to sand/paint door handles? Do you have to take them apart to do it right?

Same with the tailgate handle do you have to take it apart, before sanding and painting?
Well I bought colormatched Escalade door handles, so didn't have to paint them ... they might be more difficult cause the pull is in the way and it's riveted in.

As for the tailgate handle, the bezel is just snapped in, it comes off easy, but you have to be careful not to break it. Once its off, then the handle comes off with three bolts on the inside of the tailgate.

The hardest part is definately getting all the texture out, will need to use some 80 or 100 grit ..then once you get the texture out you will need to make sure you get the sanding scratches out. you will need 80, 220, 320, 400 grit snading papers at least ...

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
okie_in_cali said:

I did a pair of stock door handles last week. They came out REALLY nice. It took a few hours worth of sanding to get them ready to paint though. I didn't take them apart, the only part of them without paint on it was behind the handle. They came out way better than i thought. The tailgate handle and bezel are also worth doing at the same time and are much easier to prep than the door handles :)

·
My name's not Kevin
308 Posts
I was planning on doing a tech thing next week when I'm finished. I'm going to replace her door speakers and want to install everything at the same time so I only need to take the door apart once.
DCP_0001_1.jpg

It's not hard at all. I have an extra set of handles I got off ebay for $6.00 so I can take my time. I did spend about 2 hours sanding each handle though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey, thanks guys. Sounds awesome, I cant wait to get started on this project.

I have one more question. Would'nt the paint get into the pull part of the handle and cause it to stick shut?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts