GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Not A New Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I've owned my truck (3 years), I've noticed it shifts hard (basically drops it into gear) from 1st to 2nd, but only when very little throttle is applied. It will do it consistently when idling in traffic, cruising through parking lots, etc. Give it slightly more throttle, and it's fine. Otherwise, the tranny shifts great through all of the gears, even at WOT.

The truck has 120k. The tranny has been regularly serviced every 25k or so. No burnt fluid, no shavings in the pan. The only other thing it's done is slipped in first gear from a dead stop a handful of times, but I think I fixed that with a bottle of Lucas (crud in the valve body?).

I did a lot of research, and everything led me back to the electronic control aspect of it. I've already tried cleaning the MAF (no change) and next is the TPS. However, it seems that the TPS is actually part of the throttle body on the 5.3l engine.

My question is, is it possible to replace just the TPS without replacing the whole f*cking throttle body? I've seen kits online, but it looks like I would have to drill out rivits and then bolt it back together.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Ever since I've owned my truck (3 years), I've noticed it shifts hard (basically drops it into gear) from 1st to 2nd, but only when very little throttle is applied. It will do it consistently when idling in traffic, cruising through parking lots, etc. Give it slightly more throttle, and it's fine. Otherwise, the tranny shifts great through all of the gears, even at WOT.

The truck has 120k. The tranny has been regularly serviced every 25k or so. No burnt fluid, no shavings in the pan. The only other thing it's done is slipped in first gear from a dead stop a handful of times, but I think I fixed that with a bottle of Lucas (crud in the valve body?).

I did a lot of research, and everything led me back to the electronic control aspect of it. I've already tried cleaning the MAF (no change) and next is the TPS. However, it seems that the TPS is actually part of the throttle body on the 5.3l engine.

My question is, is it possible to replace just the TPS without replacing the whole f*cking throttle body? I've seen kits online, but it looks like I would have to drill out rivits and then bolt it back together.
TPS doesnt sound like the issue to me.

Get a scan tool and watch the throttle angle while moving the gas pedal.

·
Not A New Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TPS doesnt sound like the issue to me.

Get a scan tool and watch the throttle angle while moving the gas pedal.
I'm short on cash right now...Could I used my multimeter set to ohms to check for dead spots? If so, what pins?

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
I'm short on cash right now...Could I used my multimeter set to ohms to check for dead spots? If so, what pins?
oreilly auto has a basic scanner that should show throttle position. just go ask to use it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts