GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
The Treasure State
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I put in a set of headers on my truck. Bassani Mid-Length ceramic coated. They fit awesome, only problem was due to the size of the 4l80e I had to clearance some parts to make them fit. I will be posting up my Bassani thread as soon as I am done w/ this.

I broke the dipstick tube and needed to get a new one. For my truck this is GM P/N 12563918 unfortunately, GM thought that it should be replaced by GM P/N 12609269. I ordered up the dipstick and received 12609269 which does not fit. Talked to my dealer today and told them that the new P/N is not even close to the old one, doesn't fit, the tube length puts the dipstick about 3" off, bracket puts the tube too close to the header, etc. Anyway turns out that GM just now figured out their error and is now reinstating the old P/N 12563918. So if you go to get a new dipstick tube make sure you specify you want the old P/N, GM is just now ramping up production of them and I'm not sure if all the parts computers will let you get the old P/N unless the dealer make a special call into GM to get the right part.

·
The Treasure State
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What caused you to break the dipstick tube? Did you run it first between cylinders 2 and 4?
I put too much man into checking the oil :sparta:

Actually it was rusted into the block and I tried to pull it out for my header install. Ended up breaking it off and had to drill out the stub, then fish the left over parts out of the oilpan with a magnet. Don't worry I greased up the drill bit to keep the metal shaving from falling into the pan, the only part that fell into the pan was the piece that is below the o-ring on the new tube. Pulled it out of the pan with a pen magnet.

EDIT: Oh, I did try running it between cylinders 4&6, didn't fit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts