GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Barber Shop
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running two Diamond Audio 10in. subs, dual voice coils, can't remember if they were dual 2 or 4 ohm. They were put in this spring and a while back one sub isn't hitting as hard. Checked the wiring and everything was good. Did one of the voice coils blow on that sub?

Anyways, I think my plan is to just buy a new one to replace it. This is a dumb question: But if I did put in a new one and ran it easy for a while, let it 'break in'...I should ok, right?

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
should be ok, but maybe it came loose. You wont know till you test and meter it, or at least pull the sub and go one at a time on the coils

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
I'm running two Diamond Audio 10in. subs, dual voice coils, can't remember if they were dual 2 or 4 ohm. They were put in this spring and a while back one sub isn't hitting as hard. Checked the wiring and everything was good. Did one of the voice coils blow on that sub?

Anyways, I think my plan is to just buy a new one to replace it. This is a dumb question: But if I did put in a new one and ran it easy for a while, let it 'break in'...I should ok, right?
A "break in" won't make it last longer or work better. Breaking in is simply the spiders stretching to their maximum point. It doesn't matter if you stretch them in 30 seconds or 30 years, once it's done, it's done.

It is very possible you killed a coil on the sub, but as was said, the only way to be sure is to test it.

·
The Barber Shop
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll check if any local shops can test that sub for me. What I was wanting to know if its a good idea to put a new sub in and have it running along side a used/working sub. I'd like to replace both with new/different ones, don't have the funds right now.

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
I'll check if any local shops can test that sub for me. What I was wanting to know if its a good idea to put a new sub in and have it running along side a used/working sub. I'd like to replace both with new/different ones, don't have the funds right now.
You can test it yourself pretty easily. Hook up 1 coil and see if it plays, then do the same for the other coil. If it doesn't play on 1 coil, there ya go.

You can replace just 1 sub fine, as long as it's the same sub. If it's a different make/model/version you could end up with undesirable results.

·
The Barber Shop
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can test it yourself pretty easily. Hook up 1 coil and see if it plays, then do the same for the other coil. If it doesn't play on 1 coil, there ya go.

You can replace just 1 sub fine, as long as it's the same sub. If it's a different make/model/version you could end up with undesirable results.
Never thought about that, thats easy enough to test them. I'll pull it out and try that sometime soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts