GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Canadian Chapter
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my cat died and it sounds like shit. so i figure i'll go price out a new one. it turns out that to replace it "correctly" i have to replace the entire y-pipe. turns out that is a $950 part. so there is not a chance in fucking hell i'm going with that option seeing as how that is probly more than a 1/4 of my truck is worth. now the guy said he could cut it out and replace it and the total on that is about $400. but he couldn't guarentee it would pass my emissions test next month. i don't really want to takle this project, although i do have a hoist and a welder. i honestly just don't have the time with me working six day's a week. so what would you guy's suggest? is there anywhere i could find that y-pipe for cheaper? and is this dick full of shit about it not passing an e-test if i just cut it off and weld one in? sorry for the story book and forgive any punctuation/grammar errors. by the way the truck is a 96 silverado 5.7 vortec.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I'd look something from a scrap yard. Try car-part.com

·
concrete *******
1,923 Posts
i have a Y pipe with the cats still on it. i can cut em off...

·
kissin hands shakin babie
6,529 Posts
dude do what i did

i ordered a universal cat off summit

welded it on
and then WHAM 50 bucks plus shipping later, you have a cat

·
Canadian Chapter
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd look something from a scrap yard. Try car-part.com
yah i was thinking about going to a scrap yard and looking for a Y

i have a Y pipe with the cats still on it. i can cut em off...
i'll be in touch i think shipping would kill it.

dude do what i did

i ordered a universal cat off summit

welded it on
and then WHAM 50 bucks plus shipping later, you have a cat
any idea the dimensions? 1 7/8? and how much of a bitch is welding around the top? i've welded before, quite a bit actually but never had to weld a circle above my head.

:wtf: You have emissions tests there?
uhh yah? WTF can i come live with you Oleg?

·
Canadian Chapter
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
every other. even year vehicles tested on odd years and vis versa. this year really sucks cuz i have to get an e-test,renew my licence,and pay my 6 month insurance fee all at once. and it's a sniff. if i still had my 01 with the auto 4wd it sould just be a visual becuase there is no 4wd dyno's around here. my dad is such a lucky bastard.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Well you need to find out the emission laws in your province up there in Canada. For instance in most of the US, after 80,000 miles/8 years you can replace emission stuff with whatever as up until then you are covered by EPA's warranty giving you free stuff.

Some gay states like CA necessitate direct fitment pieces used, which doesn't make much sense... but perhaps that's why they're in the red so deeply. :rofl2: I mean if you meet or LOWER emissions, isn't that a good thing?

·
kissin hands shakin babie
6,529 Posts
any idea the dimensions? 1 7/8? and how much of a bitch is welding around the top? i've welded before, quite a bit actually but never had to weld a circle above my head.

well mine has 1 cat after the y pipe, and mines 3 inch,

i pulled the whole y pipe to cut and weld it all up

·
Canadian Chapter
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yah i talked to the guy who does my testing he say's anything i want to, as long as i can get it to not leak he will pass me.

·
Canadian Chapter
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well mine has 1 cat after the y pipe, and mines 3 inch,

i pulled the whole y pipe to cut and weld it all up
yah mine are both part of the Y-pipe. when i put the cb extreme's on i think that pipe was 1 7/8" or 2" but i can' remember. i guess i'll just measure it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
$950!?! That is one heck of an exchange rate. I'd check around for aftermarket sources. I did some quick checking:
AutoZone.com has a couple options. They list one for Federal (US EPA) emissions package for about $300, and a California package for around $500, both are the Y-pipe with cats. Not sure which one would apply in Ontario, but having any good cat should pass.

SummitRacing.com has some options as well. Magnaflow brand Y-pipes with cats $335-550. Catco brand Y-pipe with cats $332-600. The MagnaFlow parts generally fit better and are better quality that the Catco. Summit also lists a Catco universal cat, 2.25" inlet/outlet for $147 each.

It might be slightly cheaper to get universal cats and weld them in, but it will be a PITA due to how GM has the pipes routed at the cats. The Y-pipe assemblies are easier since they bolt right in. When removing the pipe, to replace or to weld, be careful with the studs and bolts at the flanges, they can break easily if rusty. Good luck and have a good one!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts