GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright well ive had a leaking rear main seal and im ready to order some parts and get that thing fixed. i loose about a quart of oil a month and its gettin real old and id like to switch back to using nicer oil.

since i know that involves dropping the transmission id like to put a shift kit and some billet servos? and beef it up a bit. i'll be running some 34's pretty soon and eventually upgrade to some 38's (im hoping lol)

anyways i know the HD2 shift kit is something im going to get, but what other parts do i need and where should i get them? also where can i order a new rear main seal kit? and what is the difficulty of this install? i am willing to bring it to a shop but id really like to do the work myself.

also for more info, i have a 2000 NBS 5.3 4L60 Tahoe

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Just get a new rear main from GM or aftermarket from parts store.

How many miles are on your ride to necessitate a replacement rear main seal? Reason I ask is that it's probably not worth investing in your 60E if you're over 150k.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just get a new rear main from GM or aftermarket from parts store.

How many miles are on your ride to necessitate a replacement rear main seal? Reason I ask is that it's probably not worth investing in your 60E if you're over 150k.
nah this is the second one. its got about 75k on it right now. the first one was replaced at 70.

If you need some help let me know.
thanks man! im gonna go ahead and pm you my number. i will probably need help with it in the near future when i get around to doing it! and of course ill make sure to provide some beverages for your help

·
Bad Luck is all i got.
1,483 Posts
Who replaced it the first time?? Just my .02 cents id go back and try to get it under warranty if a shop did it of at least a fairly decent price break just cause itll be a pain in the rear, but since you dont have a t-case itll be a bit easier.

·
GMFS Senior Member
3,237 Posts
Replacing the main seal is pretty easy, just takes awhile. Gotta unbolt the driveshaft, transmission, converter, wiring harness, shift linkage, etc then it'd greatly help you if you had a transmission jack. That way you could slide it back a couple of feet to give yourself some room to work. Get an impact gun and take the flexplate off, then replace the seal. :crazy: Sounds like alot I know, and it is, but take your time and it's not that big of a deal.

Transmission wise: Well unless you've had a 4L60 apart a few times, I'd take it to a reputable trans shop and have them do it for you. You don't need billet shift servos unless you plan on beefing up the case to be honest. There is such a thing as too much band apply pressure and too firm a shift. Trust me, I know :crazy: Get a Corvette servo and stick with that. The Transgo HD 2 kit is good, and you can find a stout sunshell from Oregon Performance, or eBay. There are lots of little things you can get to make it stronger. The 5-gear planetaries from a late-model 4L70 are a good choice. Also don't forget about the converter, I LOVED my 3000rpm stall until it decided to fill my transmission with metal shavings. Long story :rofljest: A converter from a TrailBlazer or Envoy would probably suit you well though. It stalls at a higher rpm than one from a V8, and it's OEM. All of this will cost money though. :read:

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Replacing the main seal is pretty easy, just takes awhile. Gotta unbolt the driveshaft, transmission, converter, wiring harness, shift linkage, etc then it'd greatly help you if you had a transmission jack. That way you could slide it back a couple of feet to give yourself some room to work. Get an impact gun and take the flexplate off, then replace the seal. :crazy: Sounds like alot I know, and it is, but take your time and it's not that big of a deal.

Transmission wise: Well unless you've had a 4L60 apart a few times, I'd take it to a reputable trans shop and have them do it for you. You don't need billet shift servos unless you plan on beefing up the case to be honest. There is such a thing as too much band apply pressure and too firm a shift. Trust me, I know :crazy: Get a Corvette servo and stick with that. The Transgo HD 2 kit is good, and you can find a stout sunshell from Oregon Performance, or eBay. There are lots of little things you can get to make it stronger. The 5-gear planetaries from a late-model 4L70 are a good choice. Also don't forget about the converter, I LOVED my 3000rpm stall until it decided to fill my transmission with metal shavings. Long story :rofljest: A converter from a TrailBlazer or Envoy would probably suit you well though. It stalls at a higher rpm than one from a V8, and it's OEM. All of this will cost money though. :read:
that post has pretty much everything i wanted to hear!! thanks a million man.

as far as the main seal it doesn't sound too complicated and i have all sorts of jacks, jackstands, impact, and all that at my house so that shouldn't be a problem.

As far as the transmission goes, i already have a corvette servo in it and i have a black bear tune so all the line pressures have been increased and the shifts are pretty firm but it still clunks a bit. its been like 75k miles and i think it was replaced in 03 so i doubt the transmission shop is gonna help me out at all. HD2 shift kit is on my list of things to buy, but im unsure as to what a sunshell and a planetary is but ill give em a google. a stall is also something i was looking into. something around 2200 to 2600 should do just fine for me haha sorry to hear about your 3000.

sorry a lot of questions ill try to answer some myself with google if i can. thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts