GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a great opportunity at hand right now. About a week ago my granfather got into a wreck in his rcsb 2wd chevy truck. I have been having alot of problems with my 350 TBI in my truck. I can get his engine/tranny for free but Im sure it would be hell replacing a 350 TBI with a 350 vortec? What all would I need to pull/replace? basically im trying to see if it would be worth it since I am getting all the needed parts for free. All opinions welcome

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I believe his truck is a 96rcsb 2wd 5.7 350 vortec and mine is a 95 ecsb Z71 5.7 350 TBI...the tbi is burning oil really bad and I would really like to have the vortec put in to get more power. Im sure I would need to replace the engine, wiring, computers, fuel pump, and tranny???

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
Engine, trans, engine and cab harness, computer, fuel pump. Drive shaft if yours wont reach.

I want the interior if you can sell parts off it. I could even do the swap for you for parts if you came to me...

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
motor, ECU, harness' engine and body harness. trans will bolt up to motor and probably work if you got a 60e(prolly sure you do).

·
EMBRACE WHAT'S LEFT
3,487 Posts
just snatch the heads and buy an edelbrok intake on ebay for 150 and youll be rolling good

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have a great opportunity at hand right now. About a week ago my granfather got into a wreck in his rcsb 2wd chevy truck. I have been having alot of problems with my 350 TBI in my truck. I can get his engine/tranny for free but Im sure it would be hell replacing a 350 TBI with a 350 vortec? What all would I need to pull/replace? basically im trying to see if it would be worth it since I am getting all the needed parts for free. All opinions welcome
There are a lot of differences and the swap is not easy, I did it on a 93 Blazer,I put in a 99 5.7 Vortec.

If you can avoid the swap by all means do so if you can not then be ready for alterations in wiring , exhaust , under hood items like ABS for PCM placement , Windshield washer bottle a/c items which I believe on a TBI are Standard thread and the Newer Vortec are Metric.

When it was done it was a great truck ran well for 2 years and i sold it and it is still running strong.. The best way to really do it would be to do a dash swap along with the harnesses and engine.. Otherwise it is a pain in the ass..

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dash swap along with the harnesses and engine.. Otherwise it is a pain in the ass..
Do you mean the whole dash? or just the guages, a/c, and cd player? I've heard pulling out a complete dash is a motherfucker.

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I understand what you're saying but I like the 5.7 for torque. I just enjoy driving one better than my buddys 5.3

where do yall think would be the best place to get the computer, and harness?

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
I understand what you're saying but I like the 5.7 for torque. I just enjoy driving one better than my buddys 5.3

where do yall think would be the best place to get the computer, and harness?
6.0l :read: Do some mods and you will love it so much more than a 5.7. Boltons, cam, stall.

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah but I'm on a tight budget to even try to do this..I'm sure 6.0 would cost a pretty penny.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Yeah but I'm on a tight budget to even try to do this..I'm sure 6.0 would cost a pretty penny.
6.0 itself would be under a $1000 probably but the mods would run a little more than that. If you're on a budget, just rebuild the TBI with Vortec Heads and stuff.

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wanna spend around $1500 I've found some good deals but I haven't gotten prices on computer, dash, and harness.

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Someone told me itd be better to do a dash swap but would I have to remove the whole thing??

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
People thinkg a 6.0 is horrible on gas. Look at the truck it is in. Most are CCLB trucks. a 6.0 will be more efficent than the 5.7 and have way more tuning ability and driveability.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts