GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
mechanic
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have recently tried to restore my faded bumper pads on the front and rear as well as my mirrors, steps and roof rack. It seems that everything I try I can't keep them from showing fade again a couple days later.

What should I use in order to bring back that deep black finish again? I'm almost thinking I might have to use a buffer or something to do this.

Next I want to really bring that chrome shine out of my plastic grille shell which is now faded and super dirty. What should I use and or how do I go about restoring it? Again, I'm thinking a buffer will have to be used.

Any help or suggestions would be awesome!

·
CHIMICHANGA
3,275 Posts
At some point, its better to buy replacements.

Post pics of what you're dealing with.

·
mechanic
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's the grille: You can see the faded spots and scratches which I've tried to remove and can't seem to find anything that works.
47A42348-5C0F-405B-B198-B2117776DAF2_zpsvwn9p2zv.jpg

9A10525A-1D15-432A-92D2-0ED14270C673_zps12irvioo.jpg

And here are the bumpers - Nothing severe but would like to restore them to the dark factory like condition.
C3B72F6E-49AA-4E37-8DB7-C4FFF1B2CD7E_zpszx9sxjje.jpg

A94A6972-1380-42E7-A22F-B88C8BB251FB_zps4rfcoyp5.jpg

DD1DC509-5750-4CDD-BE32-54607D5C6006_zpskrov9anv.jpg

BTW, I also found this product called Forever BLACK. They say once you put it on it won't come off or fade for up to 4 years. I was wondering if this would work....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNfQUq8soBg
http://www.foreverblack.com

·
mechanic
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
http://www.chemicalguys.com/Tire_Shine_Vinyl_Rubber_protectant_And_Trim_Dressings_s/13.htm

I just use dressing, actually the same stuff i use on my tires and it keeps them black between washes.
You will want a water based dressing because the oil based ones just attract dirt and dust faster and it makes it hard to get off of things. While water based comes off easy with...... water:crazy:
Thanks for the help! I'm gonna keep looking and see if I can find anything to make the plastic look new and restore it that way for permanent amount of time.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,691 Posts
Beyond painting them or replacing them using a trim conditioner/dressing is the only option you have.

I have had great experience with the SCG pro trim conditioner.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Scrub it with a brush and some dish soap, when it dries, hit it with a heat gun, it will turn it back black. Then use some dressing to keep it looking good. I have a crv and do it once a year, but it has a lot of plastics, an Iam going to paint them.

·
Registered
409 Posts
use peanut butter. seriously, it works and its cheap.

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts

·
official cat dragger
1,640 Posts
i used chemical guys vrp on my ladies camaro rear bumper plastics and they look new after a few weeks.

·
mechanic
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Scrub it with a brush and some dish soap, when it dries, hit it with a heat gun, it will turn it back black. Then use some dressing to keep it looking good. I have a crv and do it once a year, but it has a lot of plastics, an Iam going to paint them.
I've had a couple people tell me about this before and I found a video on youtube of someone doing it. I'm gonna try it this week when I can go get a heat gun.

·
A-10C Jet Engine Mechanic
163 Posts
Mother's Back to Black

Sucks, waste of money. I've tried turtle wax ice, several foam tire shines, carnauba wax, etc. I usually just use armor all gel, but reapply it after every car wash.

·
Whatcha wanna do???
1,951 Posts
I have the same problem with the black plastics on my Suburban.
Nothing will solve the problem permanently. Even replacing them will not solve it, because even the new ones will fade after two or three years.
I have tried dozens of dressings, peanut butter, and even WD40 and motor oil. They all look good for a few days, but then either dry up or even worse they streak all over when rain hits it. So far, I have found the best option is to treat with either Chemical Guys VRP dressing, or Adams SVRT dressing. The Adams holds up a little longer in rain, but costs more than twice as much as the CG VRP. But I've also found that regardless of what dressing I use, they last MUCH longer if I throughly scrub the plastics with an all purpose cleaner/degreaser . I use Adams APC and it works great. But use a scrub brush and scrub it good to get all old dressing residues out or the texture of the plastic. Scrubbed and treated, my plastics will easily look dark and shiny for up to a month (yes, I sometime go that long without washing my truck).

·
Registered
449 Posts
Like Scott said nothing will ever stop the sun from fading them, but I just took the time to paint them and it works just fine and I've had no problems with peeling or anything, have washed it many times and looks fine, I took off the grill on my 99 nbs sierra and taped and painted the middle black to get rid of it's fading and looks good
Here's pic of my truck with painted bumper cap, grill, emblem, and lower valance
imagejpg1_zpsc8d13a67.jpg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts