GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
:bishplz:
5,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am tired of having this iPod cable hanging out from under my dash. My current method of putting it away is to pull the ashtray down and wrap the cable around it. Ghetto imo. I don't have a center console or a pocket in my dash to route the cable through (I have a cb where the pocket used to be). So the idea that SOUNDS the best is to find a retractable 3.5mm cable and mount that under the dash so I can just roll it back up when I'm done without it hanging all over. I found THIS but I'm afraid that when you pull the cable out from one side, it will come out the other side as well. That wouldn't work too well if I mount the center piece somewhere. I couldn't find a universal wheel or anything that would make any cable retractable. Anyone have any other ideas for me?

·
Dude on Internet
758 Posts
you could use electrical tape to secure the end connected to the input on your deck. yeah its ghetto, but it may work and at least no one will see it

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
ive got the same problem.
i put my wire from my ipod behind my dash and into the glove compartment. my ipod sits in the glove compartment perfectly, but its annoying to always have to go into my glove compartment to change tunes on the ipod.

·
5,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive got the same problem.
i put my wire from my ipod behind my dash and into the glove compartment. my ipod sits in the glove compartment perfectly, but its annoying to always have to go into my glove compartment to change tunes on the ipod.
Yea, I've thought about that also. This morning I moved it so it comes out next to my CB instead of under the dash. This way I can tuck it in next to the cb when I'm not using it. Better than before, but retractable would be awesome. Another thing is the retractable cables are so damn thin and probably don't sound as good at higher volumes.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'd think that since you're not amping the signal until after it gets to your HU, the wire size from ipod to HU shouldn't matter too much...but why don't you just get a female end and hardwire it to your dash somewhere, and keep a male -> male cable in your console or something so you can just plug it in when you need it?

·
Dude on Internet
758 Posts
I'd think that since you're not amping the signal until after it gets to your HU, the wire size from ipod to HU shouldn't matter too much...but why don't you just get a female end and hardwire it to your dash somewhere, and keep a male -> male cable in your console or something so you can just plug it in when you need it?
good idea :imo

·
5,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm not sure why the hell I didn't think of that obvious solution... I actually have a male to female extension I can use for that...

·
GMFS Sr. Canadian Member
4,519 Posts
i routed mine out the side of the dash inbetween the cupholder thing. so when i want to i can put the cable IN the cupholder and it tucks in the dash

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
why not get the steel dash iPod holder and put the cable out the side of the dash so theres only maybe 3" of wire and then you have a firm mounting point for it?

·
5,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
why not get the steel dash iPod holder and put the cable out the side of the dash so theres only maybe 3" of wire and then you have a firm mounting point for it?
After my iPod got stolen I replaced it with a SanDisk Sansa player. I just put iPod because everyone automatically knows what it is, unlike a Sansa.

At this point I think I am going to leave it coming out next to my cb. My cousin's friend just gave me a brand new XM receiver last night. I just activated it and I'll probably keep the cable connected to that most of the time so now theres no need to put it away... if that makes any sense..

Once I get the Pioneer XM Receiver that hides under the dash, then I think I'll install that female plug somewhere on the dash. That or just use the cup holder method.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts