GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in a search for a set of winter tires for my truck and did some looking around. I found a company that does retread tires. I was looking at there tires they offer for 285/70/17 and they have the BFG at pattern and the Goodyear MT/R pattern I am highly thinking of getting the MT/R pattern tire and can get them for $500 shipped.

What are the PROs and CONs of the tires that are retreads. Also what kind of issues can you have with them.

If you have some retreads please post your opinions and pictures please.

·
Maniac
692 Posts
I don't think there will be any problems, really. Semi's run retreads, the huge tires on military vehicles are retreads. I think you'll be fine as long as the company has a lot of good experience and they also do other tires, like military or semi tires.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes they do there own tires and the only difference I see is that there is no letters on the side wal.

·
CENTEXOFFROAD
1,348 Posts
I wouldn't trust them for highway use, offroae only. If you want to do it right, save your money and buy a new set of tires. Do they offer a warranty for those tires, I doubt it. And jus FYI, semi's can't run retreads on the front. How many times have you been
driving and seen the treads just laying on the side of the road. I suggest not going that route.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
I wouldn't trust them for highway use, offroae only. If you want to do it right, save your money and buy a new set of tires. Do they offer a warranty for those tires, I doubt it. And jus FYI, semi's can't run retreads on the front. How many times have you been
driving and seen the treads just laying on the side of the road. I suggest not going that route.
Exactly. Trailer tires are very different than drive tires.

Why would you want some hacked up shit anyway?

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
my grandpa had mud retreads on the back of a 57 bel air back in the day... leading to small wheelstands

·
Super trash and proud
1,921 Posts
driving and seen the treads just laying on the side of the road
. I suggest not going that route.
:shake: exactly what I thought when I read that semi's run them

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After thinking about it I am going to pass on the retreads.

All I was going to use them for is winter driving which is only about 4000 miles a year. Since I only put on 9000 a year on my truck I wasn't too worried about them but I think I will pay down the road.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
a UPS truck driver had a retread front tire blow out 3 days ago. it put him into a sewage truck headon going highway speeds. only the frames of the two trucks were left... not good

·
Registered
32 Posts
After thinking about it I am going to pass on the retreads.

All I was going to use them for is winter driving which is only about 4000 miles a year. Since I only put on 9000 a year on my truck I wasn't too worried about them but I think I will pay down the road.
For a dedicate winter tire Mud Kings work great, I use a set of studded mud kings for winter tires on my Sierra. They are great, I use them up north because alot of the logging roads aren't plowed where I hunt, anything under 16" of snow and I'll make it through.

·
Registered
47 Posts
retreads = dangerous and tread seperating from tires. not safe at all for you and other drivers as well

1 - 15 of 15 Posts