GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Re: 4 link questions

Dillinja666 said:
what are the pros and cons to having a reverse 4 link as opposed to a normal 4 link?
Fully reverse? Jere's what Air Ride has to say

What about "reverse" 4 links? What happens when you run the bars backwards?

NO NO NO!!! By the way, did we say NO?! It doesn't matter what the truck magazines say... DO NOT run the 4 link bars backwards! Here's what happens... When the top bars are run backwards, the diverging arcs of the upper and lower bars will create such a massive pinion angle change that under extreme amounts of suspension travel, you may actually pull the driveshaft out of the transmission! If you want to see this effect for yourself, get a sheet of pegboard and a couple of yardsticks... simulate the scenario for yourself. The second effect of running the upper bars backwards is completely screwed up handling dynamics. With a normal 4 link, when you hit the brakes, the suspension geometry wants to lift the rear of the vehicle... therefore trying to "plant" the rear tires and assisting the braking action. When the upper bars are reversed, this dynamic is eliminated or even reversed... when you hit the brakes the suspension actually unloads the tires thereby massively reducing available braking performance. This is not our opinion... it is simply physics.

We don't know who thought up this "backwards" 4 link stuff but apparently it was originally used to provide clearance for an airspring sitting on top of the lower bars that pointed to the front. The truck magazines picked it up, the readers took it as gospel, and the rest is history.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Your going to get all kinds of horror stories about how bad reverse 4-links are. I had one for a long time and never had a problem with it. with the exception of wheel hop. with that said, i wouln't recomend them. There are design flaws that i won't get into. just run them forward and avoid any problems a reverse link can cause.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i cannot fit a normal 4 link because my gas tank is in the way of the arms.....

the shop i took my truck to did the reverse with out asking me first, which i think is crap, but now that im stuck with it i guess ill have to live with my 4 link for a bit before i can change it.

i got a 2003 silverado, any one out there have a set up that works with out changeing the gas tank? i do long road trips and a fuel cell does not hold enough fuel for the trips, and is probably outta my budget ;(

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
You could install a universal parallel 4-link from ART w/ some minor fabrication. Have you looked into ART's AirBar or KP's 4-link w/ cantilever attatchment? :read:

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Are you bagged or coilovers .. got any pictures?

Oh and what shop was it, so no one else here uses them and gets a reverse 4-link when they didnt ask for one.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no unfourtunatly (spelled right?) i kinda left everything up to the shop i took my truck to. they fabed the 4 link and everything else on the truck i think, but im starting to think that they dont know what they are doing cause of the wheel hop and pinion angle issues.

u know a site where i can get that kp 4 link w/ cantilever?

and a better shop to install it? i live in san diego, and i know how to weld and all that, but unfourtnatly i have no place to do any work @

:D

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
im bagged,

the name of the shop is new image customs in san diego

seemed kinda ghetto but some people i talked to said that they do some good work..
so far they are not passing the grade if the 4 link comes back with the issues mentioned above

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
am i going to have issues now since ive been switched to a weld in reverse 4 link? :nono:

or just cut everthing off that they installed?

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Dillinja666 said:
am i going to have issues now since ive been switched to a weld in reverse 4 link? :nono:

or just cut everthing off that they installed?
Well, are you ready to do that? I mean, it is a reverse 4-link, but I imagine you paid a lot to have it installed ... are they going to reimburse you any?

Is it fully reverse? All 4 bars going to the back? if so, you might could get by to have the 2 lower bars converted to forward bars. So you'd have reversed uppers. Theres lots you can do, you just have to decide what you are willing to do and what you want.

Again, got any pictures?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well ur gonna laugh at this, but i havnt even gotten the truck back yet. they just called a few days ago and told me the issues they had, they said they had to install a reverse 4 link, like they already did the install. i think it would be fair to call back and tell them that i want a parrell canti 4 link, shoulnt be that hard to change if the truck is not all the way put back together.. right?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
tell them you have spoken with 10+ guys who run parallel 4links with panhard bars, using their stock tanks. I do not see how they said the tank is in the way. A parallel 4link mounts outboard the frame rails, not affecting the tank at all. I run the KP 4link with leverage attachment, and my dad runs the Air Ride Technologies Air Bar. Both are nice, but the KP Components will allow you to lay frame :rocking:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts