GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title hints, I have this loud clunk when I move the shifter from reverse to drive and vise versa in my 2005 Chevy Tahoe. It has about 145,000 miles on it, if that information helps at all. Any advice on how to approach this is appreciated. To give everyone an idea of what I'm experiencing I found a couple of youtube videos that display the same exact problem I'm experiencing to a T.

Here they are:

jump right to the 12 sec mark to hear the clucking sound in question.

in this one it happens at the 1 minute mark

Bonus video.... I found another that appears to show the components responsible for the noise. this one begins at the 19 second mark

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
Could be a simple fix like lubing the shafts on the yoke or the diff could be bad. Is your Tahoe 2 or 4wd? If the clunking coming from the trans area or rear end?

·
This place sucks dicks
4,938 Posts
My '04 did that for 100k miles. Slip yoke was the culprit. Known issue on most 04s and 05s iirc. Tried lubing that yet? Typically lubing it works for like a week then it comes back. IF thats the cause, then you know what to fix.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you are having movement, as seen in video, from the Diff and not just a u-joint - You will need your Differential rebuilt.

You can check the play by:

1. Putting truck in N with e-brake on and move the driveshaft by hand or

2. Disconnect the driveshaft from the rear-end and double check the play of the pinion, by hand, without the driveshaft.

More than likely your differential will need to be rebuilt.

Good Luck, Tony

·
Registered
53 Posts
Like others have stated. Slip yoke and u-joints all wear out and will cause play. The best way to know for sure is to use your hand and move each joint while watching it and feeling how it reacts. Some times you even have to remove the shaft completely. However, if there is play in the pinion it self - than it is the diff that needs attention. Either way - time to do some more test to be sure.

EDIT: I should have said most of the time it is either a slip yoke and/or u-joint wore out.
However, a pinion should not move much.

Again good luck,
Tony

·
This place sucks dicks
4,938 Posts
None of those clips are from his truck.......... the first one isnt even a GM

·
Timbrage: Engage
5,644 Posts
pull the driveshaft out, put a bouncy ball down the hold for the yoke, re-install driveshaft

problem solved

Reactions: BOO5TED

·
Read Only
2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SL Z71 edition, 5.3 Vortec V8, 4X4, Red, Extended Cab, Automatic
81 Posts
pull the driveshaft out, put a bouncy ball down the hold for the yoke, re-install driveshaft

problem solved
What does the bouncy ball do to cure this problem? I have a loud clunk then it jerks a little when shifting into drive or reverse. Sometimes it also does it if I'm sitting at a light then let off the brakes to take off.

·
Read Only
2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SL Z71 edition, 5.3 Vortec V8, 4X4, Red, Extended Cab, Automatic
81 Posts
Nothing on my truck was maintained by previous owners, we've had to grease and regressed everything, could that be all it needs to fix this possibly?

·
Just some fuckin guy
2,419 Posts
Im sure theyve been waiting 3 years for that

·
Just some fuckin guy
2,419 Posts
The last post before you was 3 years ago

·
Read Only
81 Posts
The last post before you was 3 years ago
Yes, didn't pay attention to that my bad. I wonder if he was being serious and if so how that worked tho? My truck does that clunking noise but only when I put it into gear. Or after I've been stopped a minute then take off. It's like something's moving , kinda sounds like it may be my leaf springs tho as weird as that is...idk gotta look into it some. I think the ppl that had it knew just enough to get themselves in trouble with this truck cuz everything on it was half assed and lots of parts were broken where they would force something if it didn't move. The 3rd door handle, the hood release, little stuff like that but we fixed it all. The only thing wrong now is this noise, and I need to replace my 4x4 actuator, and I have 3 codes being thrown so I gotta check out all the wiring, grounds and connections associated with those, then replace the parts if I don't find any shorts. But I've narrowed those 3 codes down to 1 using an obd2 and erasing and rechecking codes anytime I go anywhere. I'm just glad it was in as good shape as it was when we got it, I can't stand getting something some junkie got high and geeked on. Once that shit happens you can't really get a vehicle straight after that cuz you do t know wtf they messed with. Oh well I'll Google the bouncy ball thing and see what I find I'm curious.

·
Timbrage: Engage
5,644 Posts
Yes, didn't pay attention to that my bad. I wonder if he was being serious and if so how that worked tho? My truck does that clunking noise but only when I put it into gear. Or after I've been stopped a minute then take off. It's like something's moving , kinda sounds like it may be my leaf springs tho as weird as that is...idk gotta look into it some. I think the ppl that had it knew just enough to get themselves in trouble with this truck cuz everything on it was half assed and lots of parts were broken where they would force something if it didn't move. The 3rd door handle, the hood release, little stuff like that but we fixed it all. The only thing wrong now is this noise, and I need to replace my 4x4 actuator, and I have 3 codes being thrown so I gotta check out all the wiring, grounds and connections associated with those, then replace the parts if I don't find any shorts. But I've narrowed those 3 codes down to 1 using an obd2 and erasing and rechecking codes anytime I go anywhere. I'm just glad it was in as good shape as it was when we got it, I can't stand getting something some junkie got high and geeked on. Once that shit happens you can't really get a vehicle straight after that cuz you do t know wtf they messed with. Oh well I'll Google the bouncy ball thing and see what I find I'm curious.
half of bouncy ball goes in the end of the yoke on the driveshaft, keeps it from slamming against the tailshaft making that clunk sound

·
Registered
19 Posts
They been having problems with the Chinese driveshaft splines on the rear. My son hammers his truck off road and had stripped out the stock one, claims GM should have a recall on them. They sell a bullet proof one you may want to look into. This is probably your clunk, mine is stock but I don't hammer it and so far so good

1 - 16 of 16 Posts