GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to lower my truck. The only thing is i dont want it to ride like crap. My old liftetd 86 rode like it didnt even have shocks, and i hated that so i dont want to screw up the ride on my 97. Im planning on hangers and shackles in the rear. The front im not sure on. Will this setup ruin my ride?

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
LongNLow97 said:
I am wanting to lower my truck. The only thing is i dont want it to ride like crap. My old liftetd 86 rode like it didnt even have shocks, and i hated that so i dont want to screw up the ride on my 97. Im planning on hangers and shackles in the rear. The front im not sure on. Will this setup ruin my ride?
Why not a 4/6 just flip the axle over the leafs in the rear. What wheels and tires you running or gonna run?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
stock tires and rims for now, im not too crazy on cutting my frame

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How about 4" drop leaf springs? Any suggestions for the front?

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
LongNLow97 said:
How about 4" drop leaf springs? Any suggestions for the front?
Anytime you change out springs you are automatically changing up the ride. It will either be to your liking or you'll possibly hate it. If you want to keep a stock ride i'd use spindles or control arms up front and a flip kit or shackle/hanger out back depending on how low you want to go.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
LongNLow97 said:
stock tires and rims for now, im not too crazy on cutting my frame
Well you do know you will have to cut off your factory hangers to put on the new dropped ones, unlike the shackles you have to grind the rivots off and bolt on the new hangers. So while not as drastic as a c-notch, you still are doing some hacking on your frame.

·
GMFS OG Member
760 Posts
If I could do mine over I wouldn't have used hangers. If you want 4 inchs in the back I'd use new leafs and if you need to go lower just add some shackles.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
i got the best ride with stock shocks. the after markets were too damn stiff :imo

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Y2KSierra said:
Anytime you change out springs you are automatically changing up the ride. It will either be to your liking or you'll possibly hate it. If you want to keep a stock ride i'd use spindles or control arms up front and a flip kit or shackle/hanger out back depending on how low you want to go.
Werd My leafs ride like shit! :imo But handle good.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was planning on going with new leafs in the back, but does anyone have them besides carbondogg? I heard those rode the best, but maybe not. If i go the leaf and spindle route, will i need to new drop shocks?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
If you like the feel of the stock suspension get 2" spindles up front and 4" shackle/hanger out back with new shocks and you should be happy.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Will i need new new drop shocks?

·
'03 Silvy
49 Posts
I've got the 4" drop leafs on mine.. rides ok.. but definetly not the smoothest, but then again, my friend went with the hanger shackle kit on his, and it rides about the same. For the front I just went with the drop springs. As long as you stay off rough roads it'll be a pretty smooth ride.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Matt said:
i'm pretty sure taking the spindle route doesn't require you to get an alignment, i could be wrong, but if you haven't had one in a while its not a bad idea.
Any time you monkey around with the front suspension you need an alignment.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This lowering shit is confusing. :crazy: Here is what i plan on getting. 4" Drop leafs, spindles, shock extenders, and still not sure on the shocks. I really dont want to spend the money on shocks, the other stuff is already adding up to more than i planned on spending. Anyone else have any comments on shocks?

·
'03 Silvy
49 Posts
leafs were only like 70 dollars more.. well worth it :imo cuz its a pain in the ass cutting out the rivets to do the shackle hanger kit

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I will definately be going with the leafs in back. Possibly coils in front. But im still not sure whether my stocks will work ok :think:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts