GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
South Carolina Gamecock
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the topic states I'm looking to de-badge and de-mold my Yukon because I think it will clean up the truck alot. I called my local body shop (who does good work), and they said it would only run me $75 to do it, which seems pretty good imo. But the guy then proceeded to warn me about how the paint under the badges/molding may not match the rest of the truck because of paint fading overtime from the sun ect. My truck's color is Summit White.

What are the odds that this will happen to me? I see where this guy is coming from since the truck is 5 years old now. But I think I keep it in pretty good shape. I see other white trucks that are around my year, and few of them have held up as well as mine.

But I do have one variable going for me. I had my front bumper repainted a year ago, and it matches up perfectly to the rest of the truck still. Think I have anything to worry about? Thanks for your help.

truck4.jpg

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
You'll be fine, that's what polish is for. On white I wouldn't worry about it too much anyway. Don't pay 75 either, do it yourself.

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,237 Posts
You'll be fine, that's what polish is for. On white I wouldn't worry about it too much anyway. Don't pay 75 either, do it yourself.
Werd. Buy a pinstripe removal wheel and some goo gone and have a fun day. I need to do mine but my truck is a few years older...lol

·
Masshole
5,276 Posts
i debadged mine and parts of my paint came with it, now my door has to be repainted. if your doors never been repainted your fine, but mine was, which i was unaware of

·
South Carolina Gamecock
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm glad to hear that everyone. Hopefully I'll get this out of the way soon. It seems like one of the most cost effective things you can do, especially to a Yukon because the side molding is so fugly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My yukon is a 99 and its also white and I am in az so our shit fades fast from the sun lol and you can't even tell there were badges on the back doors.

·
GMFS Czar
2,031 Posts
I actually like the look of those moldings. The chrome is decent especially on white and the fact that they're colormatched looks even better. Like already said, there's no real "risk" involved. It's just adhesive holding it on. Nothing more.

If you end up not liking it buy a roll of automotive adhesive and slap it back on. Do plan to spend a couple of hours getting off all of the adhesive. I used WD-40, a rag, and my thumb but there are better ways of doing it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I didn't have a problem removing the molding and mine is a '98. I used a heat gun to soften the adhesive some goo gone and an eraser wheel. Then some 3M buffing compound and shined it up.

·
I am Tom Slick
6,613 Posts
I actually like the look of those moldings. The chrome is decent especially on white and the fact that they're colormatched looks even better. Like already said, there's no real "risk" involved. It's just adhesive holding it on. Nothing more.

If you end up not liking it buy a roll of automotive adhesive and slap it back on. Do plan to spend a couple of hours getting off all of the adhesive. I used WD-40, a rag, and my thumb but there are better ways of doing it.
I used a rag and my thumb too and it hurt like hell, my thumbs blistered, never again will I debadge or demold w/o a 3M eraser wheel

·
kissin hands shakin babie
6,529 Posts
i heated it up with the heat gun and pulled it off, the little bit of adhesive that was left i heated back up and rolled it into a ball with my thumbs

·
Registered
3 Posts
use an old credit card or hotel cards together with paint safe adhesive remover or heat gun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts