GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As they say down South...Y'all ain't gonna believe this shit...

I tried to squeeze into traffic during tonight's commute and my rear bumper (Road Armor Stealth model) clipped the front bumper on a 1995 Suburban (stock). His bumper looked fine (I'm sure there was some damage, but it wasn't obvious in the dark). My bumper now has a ninety degree bend in it. It's sticking straight out behind the truck by about a foot-and-a-half. I now own a Road Armor hockey stick! It ripped at the joints between plates. I thought that these bumpers were fully welded and ground smooth (seems like I remember that on their website when I bought the bumpers a couple of years ago. I couldn't find those statements on their website tonight) Anyways, looking at the tears on the damaged bumper, you can see where the plates were tack welded only. :flame:

They say these things are good for a 16,500 pound winch. Mine lost to a stock OEM bumper. What a rip-off!

·
Catholic Power
1,613 Posts
That does sound pretty fucked up. Last year at Mardi gras I ramed the car we were thrashing with a sledge hammer nad did nothing to mine but chip the paint. I also had one too many one night and went through a deep mud hole in reverse and drug the thin part on mine that hangs down through the center ruts and it pulled mount bolts through the slotted holes in the mounts but did not bend it at all. I was fully expecting to get out and see that lower part bent to shit. Esspecially since it has that laser cut logo right there.

I would give them a call on that one.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And you get that kind of completeness for ~$2k? Sweet...
No shit! Their website claims a lifetime warranty. It's gonna be interesting to see what they have to say. Why am I anticipating that they'll say that an accident doesn't qualify as "normal use"?

I couldn't have been going over 5 MHP when it happened.

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
that's some thin steel.
No joke. I thought they were thicker than that. All the ones I have seen (but not inspected) looked fawking thick. Apparently not.

·
Registered
778 Posts
ranch hand:read: i've been rear-ended like twice with mine and not a scratch. tore the shiit outa the ladies car tho!

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
If I were you I'd post the pictures all over the place. Some people depend on those things for their winching and protection (ie - radiator)...shitty imfo

·
UH6TDRVR
148 Posts
They look cool and look like they are strong but after seeing that, i guess all they are is for looks! No doubt a ranch hand or tough country wouldnt look like that, those can take a beating. Looks like junk if you ask me.....all show and no go!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Here's the warranty: if you pay the freight to them and back, they will either repair it or replace it for free. You are just out the freight cost. So all hope is not lost, however rumor has it that they are working on a 300 bumper backorder. Word has it that they are going to move production to Texas instead of Washington state.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I emailed Road Armor yesterday asking about the warranty. Didn't hear back yet.

that's some thin steel.
I measured the steel at the rips and it's 3/16". Again, can't find the specs on their website anymore, but I believe they used to state that the structural backing was 1/4" and the face 3/16". As Matt stated, should be plenty thick enough if welded properly. I read on the net somewhere today that a stock bumper weights 25 pounds. Seems light, but there's no way that a stocker has anywhere near the metal that this bumper does. The same article said the front Road Armor with the bull bar weights 400 pounds. That's plenty of metal for a high strength bumper (if designed and manufactured correctly).

joezgarage -

How did you find out about the warranty and them moving to Texas?

HELLFIRE -

Can you look on the backside of your front bumper and see if the welds appear to be full penetration between plates or just tack welded?

Thanks,

Sauceman

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
They should cover that under warenty - their customer service is very good. I deal with them frequently and have always been impressed. That to me looks like a manufactoring defect (bad welds) which would be covered.

They may not be as strong as ranchhands but they should hold up better than that for sure.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
yet another chapter in the road armor saga..... fuckin JUNK. i will still never sell one. i dont want the BS that comes with them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They should cover that under warenty - their customer service is very good. I deal with them frequently and have always been impressed. That to me looks like a manufactoring defect (bad welds) which would be covered.

They may not be as strong as ranchhands but they should hold up better than that for sure.

DE -

Who do you deal with in Road Armor's customer service? Can you forward any contact info? So far I've sent an email, but haven't heard back.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts