GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had time to install the Caltracs. Very basic install and worth every penny. Zero axle wrap and the truck launches better. I had to go up to a 9" drop, but I use a little less pressure in my helper bags to keep me low. Now I need to decide what I'm going to do with the rear end.

Here's some pics.

No more useless heavy overload leafs.
caltracs.gif

Caltracs2.gif

caltracs3.gif

caltracs4.gif

caltracs5.gif

·
#NBHNC
2,828 Posts
I really need to get me a set of those.
how much did they run if you dont mind me asking and where is the best place to order some?

·
LAID OUT TIRE FRYER
1,992 Posts
they look good, my friend welds all the tabs and bars together. and my other friend powdercoats them. they have some sweet cars at calvert racing too. have you tested them out yet?

·
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just installed them and have about 50 miles on them. I need to adjust and dial them in, but it's hard with 9" of drop. They feel real good though.

Calvertracing.com - Kind of pricey for some steel and shitty heims though. People are always listing them for sale used so keep an eye out.

·
#NBHNC
2,828 Posts
I just installed them and have about 50 miles on them. I need to adjust and dial them in, but it's hard with 9" of drop. They feel real good though.

Calvertracing.com - Kind of pricey for some steel and shitty heims though. People are always listing them for sale used so keep an eye out.
Yeah, they are pricey.
But you gotta pay for good shit.

I do always see them in the classifieds but they're usually the non-flip type or if they are for a flipkit they're sold before I even see them.

·
__the real GODFATHER__
1,421 Posts
Very nice.. next on my list sense the new drop. But once all buttoned up and wheels on hows the clearance, any pics?

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
looks good.

i saw your thread on PT.net about your rear-end. i hope you're going to keep the stock 10 bolt and just replace the carrier. it's all you need.

·
The early stache
2,503 Posts
I didn't see a price at their site. How much you pay?
Looks cool man. I've never heard of that and I'm not sure I understand the theory 100%. But playing launch through my head it seems like it would stiffen the rear and keep the axle from twisting. What does it feel like, difference I mean?

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
I think I paid 379 shipped, cant remember though.
you have cal-tracs? why not just push the 4wd button? or would you still get wheel hop even in 4wd?

·
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What bushings did you use in the front of the leaf spring? Got a part #?
Energy Suspension poly urethane bushings off a 01+ HD Chevy. I sent the aluminum bushings up to Energy and they matched them. Not sure if you can buy the bushings by themselves from a distributor, but 2509 is the part number for the individual bushings otherwise you have to get the kit.

Very nice.. hows the clearance, any pics?
Thanks, the clearance is great, see below. They tuck up nice and tight and you can't even see them from the side.

looks good.

i hope you're going to keep the stock 10 bolt and just replace the carrier.
Thanks, 10bolt, 3.73's, Detroit Locker and TA girdle is the plan.

it seems like it would stiffen the rear and keep the axle from twisting. What does it feel like, difference I mean?
I thought outside the box and decided to ditch the aluminum bushings. Everyone is running the aluminum bushings supplied and never seen urethane done so I decided why not. The aluminum bushings provide zero flex and articulation is solely based on the shackle which imo is not ideal for street driving. They ride good with the urethane bushings and flex fine. The overloads weighed 30 pounds so it was nice to get rid of that unsprung weight.

Nice :head:
You didnt use their aluminum bushing in the front of the leaf spring?
Nope, see above. Thanks.

Looking good. Let me know how that rubber bushing works out. :crazy:
You know you want some. Minus the red of course.

Front View
caltracs7.gif

Rear View
caltracs6.gif

·
#NBHNC
2,828 Posts
so question.
taking out overloads lowers the truck some right? I was thinking maybe an inch.. maybe 1.5?
I wanna sit the back down a lil more on my truck and I'm currently at 8inches. So in theory I'm thinking to run Caltracs (my plans anyways) and loose the overloads so I would have around 9inches of drop in back and still no axle wrap?
Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sitting at home just throwing ideas through my head.

·
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so question.
taking out overloads lowers the truck some right? I was thinking maybe an inch.. maybe 1.5?
I wanna sit the back down a lil more on my truck and I'm currently at 8inches. So in theory I'm thinking to run Caltracs (my plans anyways) and loose the overloads so I would have around 9inches of drop in back and still no axle wrap?
Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sitting at home just throwing ideas through my head.
Only if your leafs are over the axle. If you have a flip kit like I do, with the leafs under the axle, removing the overload will not change the trucks height. Caltracs will eliminate your axle wrap.

The reason I removed the overloads is for less unsrung weight (30lbs), they weren't needed since I have helper bags, and they would be in the way of the caltracs.

That should clear things up for you.

looks real good, damn i want those shocks!
Get some!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Only if your leafs are over the axle. If you have a flip kit like I do, with the leafs under the axle, removing the overload will not change the trucks height.
On top or below wouldn't make a difference...if the overloads are restricting compression of the spring then it would decrease the height either way.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts