GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like I said in Jasons thread, over the weekend I was playing with ideas for an exo cage. Its a very very rough design, and Im no expert (far from it) in cage design to feel free to flame away. I will use 1.75" or 2.0" .120 wall DOM for the entire thing. Its not going to be rolled all the time, but I want it to be able to take one. Also there is a cargo cage incorporated into the top.

·
GPS Guru
347 Posts
Needs two big beams running from your brushguard to the roofrack. Make it look like a bulldozer. :read: :thumbsup: :anitoof:

·
Registered
832 Posts
i been thinking abot it also. However i think im going to lose the bed and just turn it into a flat bed. So i can still haul atleast 2 dirtbikes. I do plan on exo caging it tho.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shift said:
Needs two big beams running from your brushguard to the roofrack. Make it look like a bulldozer. :read: :thumbsup: :anitoof:
should I paint it yellow after that?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
The front half will most likely fold over on a hard roll. There is no diagnol bracing. Your best bet would be to do a b pillar hoop in the cab behind the front seats and tie it through the roof into the exo cage to add some lateral stability. And remember, triangles and nodes are your friend. You have a lot of tubing intersecting the middle spans of other tubing puting it into a bending state when a force is applied, if you tie it all together at nodes it will transfer the loads evenly.

·
Proud Chevy Owner
859 Posts
Looks good to me even though i know jack shit about cages. A little off topic.. where did you get that spare tire mount for the bed?

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have any blueprints or examples of a b pillar hoop like that? I was thinking that it would be weak laterally and hadnt thought of that.

Also, what bender do you use? Would a JD2 type 3 bender bend 2.0 - .120 tube? Is 2.0 DOM nesssary?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Yes it would bend that, I run a Pro-Tools hydraulic bender, just step on the pedal and watch it go :head:

Heres a drawing over my internal cage:

Right_Front_3d.gif

You can see the b-pillar hoop in there somewhere...

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok i see, the biggest problem Im having is figuring out what to do on the sides of the cab, I have the extended cab so it would make teh rear doors useless if I ran in verticle pole I think. Any ideas?

·
Banned
487 Posts
no offence, why do you need one? i thought you did mainly mud?

im no smart fella, but on that first pic it looks like you should bend around the outside of the fender flare and meet up with the other??

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I do mainly mud now but with the addition of a more capable suspension and a cage for safety I am looking foward to expanding my horizons. I kinda want to have a truck that excels all around, it can do rocks, mud, trails, even some sand.

I should have mentioned, the part you are talking about in teh front. There will be a hoop conecting all of that inside the wheel well that is also tied into the shock hoop. Havnt worked out the details of that yet but have some ideas in mind.

·
Chevrolet Owner
315 Posts
i like your mad photoshop skills.
i know nothing about cages so i will not even try to give suggestions

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that was done in macpaint (about a 12 year old program) on a 20 mhz laptop while sitting on top of my 14 bolt waiting for the hubs to dry.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
sorry if this sounds dumb, but would it be possible to add a removeable section that blocks your back doors? i dunno how it would attach and be strong yet removable though

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
ok i see, the biggest problem Im having is figuring out what to do on the sides of the cab, I have the extended cab so it would make teh rear doors useless if I ran in verticle pole I think. Any ideas?
Just run a pole down the door line but make it stick out about 3 or 4 inches and that might give the door enough room to open???

I don't think I explained that well but it would have to stick out a bit. Prolly won't work I am not sure how wide those doors open at the moment.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
a removable door cage is a pretty good idea actually, ill have to play around with that idea, see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I love this thread... :-D I can't wait until I get my shit together, and start my SAS. I am already gathering parts. Feels great knowing it will actually happen. I just gotta pay for this kids car to get fixed first... lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts