GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question for you guys that bought the full rough country level for NBS trucks. Did you use the shocks that were supplied with the kit and did you like them? Never heard bad or good about the quality, I know Bilstein is better, but I won't be doing any hardcore offroading. Should I just get keys and find some more expensive Bilsteins or Ranchos or will I be ok with the Rough Countrys? :hmm:

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
the rough countrys suck. buy ford keys and get good shocks. not the cheapest way but you will thank yourself later

·
Pro Installz
1,047 Posts
I have installed over 10 of the R.C. kits with not one complaint. First off a key is a key they are all the same thing just have different indexing. If you want ford keys thats fine but they are the same $$$ as the R.C. keys. For shock R.C. has 3 different lines if you want something nicer.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
the shocks are just really soft imo. granted a key is a key. but the ford keys. are indexed perfect. the little dimple in it(where the tool clamps on) is deep and round allowing the tool to rotate with it like its suppose to.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you go with the full kit...post up what you think of the shocks. Been looking at the same kit, just not sure how those shocks will ride. Definitely cheaper than the Bilstein that I would love to go with.

·
TEAM FUEL MOTORSPORTS
7,892 Posts
I have the NBS RC 1.5" leveling kit on my 06' CC.

When I originally priced out all the parts seperately I figured what the hell, I'll go with the RC kit for $189. Its cheaper than buying everything seperately and piecing together your own "kit".

I figured the RC shocks would suck, but I'd just replace them with Bilsteins down the road. I was suprised. The RC shocks rode decent IMO. I haven't felt the urge to change them out yet. For the money, you can't go wrong. And, yes, I do have Bilstein 5100s on my HD, and they ride excellent.

If you want to save money, run the RC kit as is. If you desperately think you "need" the Bilsteins then just buy keys, 3" blocks, ubolts and (4) Bilsteins.

·
Registered
497 Posts
BigBlue, i was just showing my 15yr old son pics of ur 2500 - he drooled!! Thanks for the experience with the RC Kit. Not sure about the OP, but i'll be ordering the kit w/ shocks.

·
Registered
497 Posts
BigBlue, you said the RC shocks rode good. How did they compare to stock? Better or just the same?

·
Registered
582 Posts
FWIW, I have one of these kits sitting in my garage. I never got around to putting it on and now I think I'm going with their new 6" kit. I will let it go for $175 shipped.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
i never realized the rc kit comes with 3" blocks. that's a bit of cranking to get it leveled out. to the op, i just went the route of the ford keys and bilsteins. no complaints.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey I figured I'd chime in here. I just put in the whole kit and the only complaint i have is i didn't get shock boots for the shocks. It installed fairly easy in about an hour with three of us. Two are certified Asap Gm techs so that helped alot. As for ride its a little bit rougher then stock but that's with the front dropped 1/2'' lower then the back. The only time i notice it is in the corners. All and all i'd say go for it but i already want to go higher.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just installed mine too. I left the blocks out of the back and am sitting just about level. How much is to much in terms of cranking? I cranked probably 2" out of the front and the bolt has tons left (could have probably just cranked the stock keys). Did I go to much? could I go more?

The shocks seem to be riding pretty well... an improvement over stock I would say (06 Z71 ECSB). Curious to hear everyones thoughts on whats ok.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts