GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The back drivers side tire is rubbing. The lip under the fender is taking slices out of the tire. What should i do?

·
Loves yoga pants
2,412 Posts
Roll the fender lips...multiple ways to do it. Mine...I cut with a die grinder with a small cutting wheel in about 1.5 - 2 inch increments and bent them up flush with the inside of the fender and then used a body hammer to mash them flatter...gotta be careful when you cut though cause you can heat up the paint too much and mess it up...I used a wet cold rag placed over the area I cut.

Another route is to use a baseball bat and use the tire as your fulcrum and bend the lips up a bit.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
I did the baseball bat method pat mentioned above, only i used the handle of a wooden hammer wrapped in electrical tape so it wouldn't mess things up too bad. I believe you can use a pipe wrapped with a rag as well. As long as you are careful it should go well.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Brittani said:
The back drivers side tire is rubbing. The lip under the fender is taking slices out of the tire. What should i do?

I am so glad I am not the only one with this problem.

I took the wheels off and used vise grips to bend the lip up then a body hamer to lay them on over. Just be careful not to crack the paint.

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
bigb said:
i would gladly come over and do that for you............... :head:
:nono: Dude, she lives in Arkansas, and I think she perfectly capable of handling it on her own. But hey if you want to drive that far to do a 30 second pry job, GO FOR IT! :thumbsup:

·
patio furniture breaker
563 Posts
so, how much backspaing would you need to keep from running into this problem? i plan on lwoering my 2003 3/6 and running some 20's with 275/45/20 tires.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Homer J said:
so, how much backspaing would you need to keep from running into this problem? i plan on lwoering my 2003 3/6 and running some 20's with 275/45/20 tires.

depends on the wheel width. on a 8.5 inch wheel, 6 inches is ideal. i have a 295/45 on my 20x10(rear) with no rubbing at all on unrolled fenders......7.5 inches of backspacing.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
i think i'm gonna roll my fender lips tomorow just to be on the safe side for when i drop

·
patio furniture breaker
563 Posts
mood_indigo said:
depends on the wheel width. on a 8.5 inch wheel, 6 inches is ideal. i have a 295/45 on my 20x10(rear) with no rubbing at all on unrolled fenders......7.5 inches of backspacing.
i was thinks about getting some Centerlines Rapids 20 X 8, but they only list them as having 5" of backspacing, so i'm not sure if they will work. i for sure what to run the 275/45/20 tires so i can keep close to the same overall diameter tire as stock so my speedo and mileage will be right.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Homer J said:
i was thinks about getting some Centerlines Rapids 20 X 8, but they only list them as having 5" of backspacing, so i'm not sure if they will work. i for sure what to run the 275/45/20 tires so i can keep close to the same overall diameter tire as stock so my speedo and mileage will be right.

great looking wheel, but with that tire it will rub out back. you might want to try toyo's 255/45/20 and roll the fenders......should solve all your problems. :D

·
patio furniture breaker
563 Posts
mood_indigo said:
great looking wheel, but with that tire it will rub out back. you might want to try toyo's 255/45/20 and roll the fenders......should solve all your problems. :D

ok. so the 255/45/20 are 29.03 inches tall and my stock tires are 29.87 inches tall. so were talking about roughly 7/8 of an inch, which is about 1.7mph faster than stock.

which wheel manufactures make wheels with 6" of backspacing? i looked on Centerlines web site and they list all of there wheels at 5" of backspacing. so who makes lightwieght wheels with more backspacing?

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
Mood... you are Wrong. Stop giving False Inforamtion to people. I remember you telling me my setup wouldn't work and it does.

Those wheels and tires that Homer and Pewter00 WILL work just fine in the rear. They just need to simply roll the render lips up and have Zero problems.

I run a 265/35 on 22x9.5's with only 12mm backspacing. Which is only like a 5.72 offset on the 9.5" wheel.

the 265/35/22 is about as tall as a stock tire. 245/45/20 on the 8" wide wheel with that backspacing will work easily on a NBS.

Hey Brittani- Let's see some more pictures of your truck. :D with or w/o u in it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Chris99GMC said:
Mood... you are Wrong. Stop giving False Inforamtion to people.

consider it done.............but for the record none of the information i give out is wrong. i, for the most part, give out wheel and tire combos that will tuck on a NON rolled fender as some of us do not have the option of rolling, i.e. sportside beds, and some people do not want to modify thier body just to get a set of wheels to work when there are so many other options out there. with a little bit of work any wheel and tire combo (within reason) will tuck, but i choose to offer the path of least resistance. if my help isn't welcome here, fine. i'll keep it to myself.....no big deal.

good luck on your projects.

Chris99GMC said:
I run a 265/35 on 22x9.5's with only 12mm backspacing. Which is only like a 5.72 offset on the 9.5" wheel.

and by the way..... are you sure you got that right???

·
Registered
703 Posts
Ok, my turn. Will a 275/45 work on a 20x8.5 with 5.25" of backspacing on a 2/4 NBS, if it doesnt will it be the height or the width or both that wont work? If i would be taking my chances with a 275/45 then what should i go with? 255/50? they are a tiny bit taller (.3") but .8" skinnier. Or would i need something shorter as well as skinnier to fit?

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
mood_indigo said:
i, for the most part, give out wheel and tire combos that will tuck on a NON rolled fender as some of us do not have the option of rolling, i.e. sportside beds, and some people do not want to modify thier body just to get a set of wheels to work when there are so many other options out there. with a little bit of work any wheel and tire combo (within reason) will tuck, but i choose to offer the path of least resistance.
That's what I figured. It most likely wont work on stock fenders when you compress the suspension cuz it'll hit the fender lips out back. But if you don't want to do a simple curl, then you need to look for a different offset.

and I am pretty sure the backspacing is 5.72 or something on my wheels, if not, it could be less, but no more than that

1 - 20 of 40 Posts