GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6" Superlift and 3" Body and im runnin 37x13.55x17 Xterrains on 17x9 in rims. I am havving a little rubbing when i turn and it compresses. I have done a little trimmin but very minimal, and NO cranking on the Tbars yet. I was wondering if i should crank about a half inch to 3/4 inch or just cut some more on the fenders? Thx for your help

·
[>
3,255 Posts
You say you have not cut much. Take a little more off and see if it solves the problem IMO. got any pics of what you cut?

A little crank wouldnt hurt if you are flat now.

Might as well do both lol :crazy:

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your guys are nuts lol :crazy: I think i will hack at it a bit more and see if I can get it to stop, but i am currently flat and may just crank it about 3/4 inch but im already rubbing my gay shocks at full turn but i think some new ranchos will cure that. Superlift shocks are really fat.

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx guys, i read the tech article, now i have one more small question. I cranked my Explorer 2". What is the max amount of crank you would run on stock keys and a daily driver. I'm thinkin about doing 1.25 inches

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
TheLlama said:
Your guys are nuts lol :crazy: I think i will hack at it a bit more and see if I can get it to stop, but i am currently flat and may just crank it about 3/4 inch but im already rubbing my gay shocks at full turn but i think some new ranchos will cure that. Superlift shocks are really fat.

ranchos are bigger or as big as the superlift shocks.

I would crank slightly to cure the rubbing, is it only on full turn pulling into driveways or what?

and where are you rubbing exactly?

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At full turn, I can catch the side of the back shock with my tires. Alot like what you have there but not quite as bad. I am looking for new shocks anyway and want to get something skinner if at all possible. Did you crank any kyle and if so how much, You have a wider tire and wider rim so im sure if i did what you did i wont have the problem anymore. Im not gonna wheel much cause I already got a ticket for it, and the local cops seem to hate me. Also, dont mind me asking but why'd you get your exhaust tips cut off?

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hes just holding one up showing example Seven. That is the same shock i rub on.

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
TheLlama said:
At full turn, I can catch the side of the back shock with my tires. Alot like what you have there but not quite as bad. I am looking for new shocks anyway and want to get something skinner if at all possible. Did you crank any kyle and if so how much, You have a wider tire and wider rim so im sure if i did what you did i wont have the problem anymore. Im not gonna wheel much cause I already got a ticket for it, and the local cops seem to hate me. Also, dont mind me asking but why'd you get your exhaust tips cut off?
Well my issue was a bad alignment, the tires were tracking fine but the truck wasn't in full alignment. What are the backspacing of your rims. I used o run 315x75xR16's and they rubbed the shocks as well. What i do actually is try to not let my tires do a full turn, I just remember how far my wheel can go :crazy: . Also in 4wd the rubbing is worse, or maybe it just has mud between the shock and the tire. Either way i would crank slightly and do an add-a-leaf in the rear, little extra height is worth it, just not extreme angles

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
im gonna crank it up an inch today, the shock rubbin isnt that bad, im more worried about the fender walls. Ill try to kill two birds with 1 stone though. I think an alignment might help also. 4wp was lazy with it and I dont think they had the wheels straight when they did it. Are there any kinds of skinner shocks?? I was thinkin about runnin rancho 5000s

·
Total Eclipse Smokefiend
174 Posts
Here is my view on cranking...scroll down to the bottom of my post if your not looking to read for awile..

Does it work? Yes...within reason. You don't want to go any more then an inch TOPS. I feel cranking is something teenagers like myself like to do just to get an extra few inches... The bad outweighs the good by far...

To start with, cranking the torsion bar basically stiffens up the whole truck by taking advantage of the torque rating on the bar itself. It raises the truck up, slightly, and can severely degrade ride quality. Now I'm a fan of the IFS (though I am seriously considering a d60 swap for my 9.25 before i even lift, though considering my halfton and the new 3/4 haven't broke or given me any grief i may stick with it and look for ways to improve), but there are some cold hard facts you need to consider before cranking the ifs to the limits.

In some cases, a cranked bar can almost put an exponential amount of force on the balljoint in comparison to an uncranked setup. This, while pretty obvious, can be very bad.

The Constant velocity joint angles also increase greatly. Granted, its not like there is that much flex in these ifs systems as it is, partly due to the limited articulation of the CV (though, gm ifs doesn't bind at all from my experience). You only have a few good inches of bind free motion there...Having the Cv at a steeper angle not only puts alot more load on the cv (thereby causing increased wear), but also the differential. From my understanding on the 8.25" ifs, this can lead to some havoc as not only ring and pinion gears can go, but in some cases the entire housing (though this I have only seen with guys who romp the Ifs with high powered motors and 38's). Can really lead you to alot of money spent.... Alot of this could change with the advent of the upcoming cornay joints, but then theres that much more load on your 500$+ diff and not your 100$ lifetime warrantied Cv's...

The steering system.... Not exactly beefy on any of the stock Ifs gm units floating around out there. My 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton haven't had any problems, but big tires and abuse would make me think twice. Much like the Cv's, the increased angles just downright puts more load on the whole assembly. There are several solutions out there, but they are all in the 400$+ range as far as I know.

As far as the actual structure of the Ifs, I am pretty confident in saying a crank won't really affect that much. I used to jump my halfton quite frequently before i rolled it(not quite motocross, but sometimes as much as 6 foot), on pavement and dirt/sand, and never had an ounce of trouble with it. I'm not saying go out and jump your truck, but in my young age I tend to be a bit overzealous with driving and in many peoples eyes overdo it alot, so I have a pretty good idea of what they can take.

So, basically cranking for an inch is fine. It would probably take care of any truly minor rubbing. Be sure to align it asap afterward, as you can not only eat parts but tires. Anything much over an inch (2 tops), and I would say "good luck" to you before we hit the trails.

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
I only cranked about an inch and it got rid of most my rubbing, but trimming those fenders and pulling back the plastic is a no brainer move that you should do, if done propertly you wont even be able to notice, bdz71 has pictures he can show you of what to cut.

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks alot guys, i know all about the cranking and its effects but i think an inch to inch and a quarter wont hurt anything at all, and i dont wheel my truck hard anyway. Ive got other toys for breaking.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
TheLlama said:
Thanks alot guys, i know all about the cranking and its effects but i think an inch to inch and a quarter wont hurt anything at all, and i dont wheel my truck hard anyway. Ive got other toys for breaking.
the escizzy :head: :worship:

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cranked it u and beat it with a hammer and it dosent rub, thanks to all for your help

1 - 20 of 21 Posts