GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NCBD put together our first Jason 'Willyswanter' Payne and Noel 'Dozer' Chadbourne Rubicon memorial run this past weekend. We had a solid turnout with 8 rigs and 14 members and guests making it up. I've only got a few pictures as I was driving the whole way, but I know we have plenty overall from all the members. Jason said he would try and upload his at lunch and I'll try and edit the couple hours of video Andrew and Matt took for me.

Hanging out on Ice House Road waiting for Jason.

Jamming through whats left of Gate Keeper.

First pair of breaks, both on the same ledge on the slabs but on different lines.

We wheeled through the day fixing a broken center pin and making slow progress with an open/open 1/2 ton K5 on 38's in the middle of the pack. As night fell Mike's Blazer broke the other front center pin and Jeremy ripped his shock mount (which is also his bumpstop) off the frame on neat little climb. Out came the grinders, winches, straps and lights.

Cutting off the excess bolt lngth on the newly fashioned center pin.

Cutting off excess U-bolt length to prevent it from hitting without a bumpstop.

Moving again.

My hastily attached night prior to leaving rocklights.

We only made it a little farther than Soup Kitchen that night before we called it quits. We elected to leave Mike's Blazer behind and do day runs from that point. the next day we made the trek to the far edge of Buck in order to return to the scene that had such tragic results last trip.

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Jeremy managed to stick his driver front bogger sideways into his hydro taps on his steering box and rip one of the fittings out. He was able to tap the box deeper and get a solid connection but it took us a bit to rebleed his system.

We all packed away to keep the trail open while making repairs.

We were making solid quick progress until we hit a Jeep Jambo at the dam. We had to wait for them all to filter through the obstacles on the side of Buck.

When we got to Buck, we all took some time to adjust to being back and say hello to a missed friend. Once we regained our motivation we located a suitable spot for the plaque and began the arduous process of drilling mounting holes in the granite. Thank god for the 28v hammer drill and generator to keep fresh batts on hand. It took just about all of us rotating in and out with Kevin pouring water on the bit to manage it.

We finally got it mounted and epoxied in place.

We wheeled back that evening and had a couple issues as Darren's power randomely cut out and then returned on the second set of slabs, Jeremy put his assist ram into the engine crossmeber bending the shaft and requiring us to pull the ram and cap the lines. We made it back to camp again well after dark.

The next day we decided to have a more relaxing afternoon and went over the 1/4 mile to Little Sluice and had a couple of rigs give it a try and watched some other people hammer their rigs for once.

With a little man power help to push his high centered rear diff over, Kevin made it through the box.

Jason tried as well, but wasn't able to keep his rear tires up and fell into a hole and broke what ended up just being a hub.

He was closely followed by this 4Runner on 35's which made for some entertainment. The guy gave it his all and missed shattering his windshield by maybe 3/8". Good, since he drove it up.

That's all I've got for pictures. Hopefully some others will post theirs up and I can share them as well.

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you much notice how the KM2s did?
He only had 1 on that one corner, as you can see for the most part it was in the air. The rest were KM's. They needed to be aired out as they weren't sticking at all.

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
He only had 1 on that one corner, as you can see for the most part it was in the air. The rest were KM's. They needed to be aired out as they weren't sticking at all.
:jester: I just noticed.

Check your pms.

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Really missed it, glad the trip was a success. Proud we had a green representative.
Missed having you there buddy, weird putting the plaque up without full representation. I'm going to have to get Milly in fighting trim for Moab '10 shortly.

Este uploaded all his pictures and I snagged a portion to share:

Not as funny as the "It's ok to be gay" sticker form last trip, but funny nonetheless.

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Helicopters were buzzing in and out from Rubicon Springs to the Spillway bringing in and out supplies for the Jambo. The Jet Ranger not shown ferrying people was coming in maybe 100ft over the trees.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Kyle + Facial hair = Jesty

That place is so pretty. I love seeing wheeling pics from you guys!

·
Ultimate IFS Pirate
1,907 Posts
I'm going to have to get Milly in fighting trim for Moab '10 shortly.
You know how to get ahold of me and you know where she's parked.

You can always park yours in place of mine in the shop.

Got to figure out steering too.

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kyle + Facial hair = Jesty

That place is so pretty. I love seeing wheeling pics from you guys!
:ninja: I was a scruffy mf'er for a couple of days there. Between the crust of sun block and dust and the scruff I probably could have gotten kicked out of a McDonalds without trying.

"give me those fuckin wafers"
Seriously, it had me laughing at the time.

looks like a great trip, how are the new mt/r's? they look so wierd I don't know if I can get used to them
Kevin likes them, he admits they're no super aggressive Swamper, but they have solid road and wheeling manners. Not to mention it's hard to say no to $1700 in free rubber:crazy:

You know how to get ahold of me and you know where she's parked.

You can always park yours in place of mine in the shop.

Got to figure out steering too.
Yup, that's the plan. Swap the two and hopefully bang it out in a month of weekends with some help and having the brackets all shot out on the CNC plas.

I was waiting on spending your money on steering until you had everything settled in your new home. We'll figure it out shortly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.