GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Lifted 2wd club
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i bought a spool of 8/3 wire to run into my breaker box and wire up a 220 outlet in the garage for our welder. Heres the scoop. Spent almost an hour up in the attic trying to run this wire....the placement of the breaker box is retarded and a freakin midget couldnt get up there to run wire. Theres a top 2x4 with a hole drilled in it for the existing wiring for the house to run to, however its filled with silicone to prevent weathering. Basically i cannot for the life of me be able to run this wire unless i tear the top of the roof off or the outside of the house, resheet, and restucko.

So heres my options until we decide to reroof the house (which it needs it....bad)

A) We run the wiring from the breaker box down the wall outside, and run it thru some pvc tubing all the way to the garage then up the wall to the outlet.

B) I can take the wire up the garage wall and into the attic and splice/ T into my wiring for the washer/dryer.

With running it off the dryer circuit ill have to step the breaker up (which is just a 30 right now) Step it up to a 40 maybe 50? Any input?

And with option B ill also have to make sure to never use the welder and the dryer at the same time of course.

Supplies cost me around $130.

I've heard it would be around 3-500 for an electrician to come out. I dont really wanna spend that money because i can do everything myself.

Whats your guys opinions? Im honestly opting for option B, and when the time comes to reroof the house ill buy some more wiring and just run one straight length to the breaker and to the outlet.

·
Serious!
1,546 Posts
Thats not silicone. I bet its firestop, its a red or orange color. I would get your hands on a right angle drill. That would do the trick. Ask davaflav, hes electrician that could give you some pointers.

·
Puttin 4 Bird
5,842 Posts
i Wouldn't do option b. The welder recptacle needs a 50 amp breaker for its self.

Is your main service sub panel on the outside of the garage? If so, there should be a knock out on the back of the sub panel on the bottom. You can drill thru the wall into the garage and put in a 4sq box right there on the inside of the garage. Then run your conduit to where you want your plug.

pm me if you have questions

This is what i do for a living, but we don't work on residential. Just commercial and industrial.

·
Lifted 2wd club
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright guys, well i got the wire ran, receptacle mounted, and i brought the wire out of a vent in the eve and fastened to the wall of the house and down to the breaker box. Breaker installed, welder works like a charm.

When it comes round time to redo the roof, we'll then take the hole saw and drill a hole and run the wire down directly into the box.

Question, if some inspector or whatever ever came by for whatever reason....would we get in trouble for having it wired that way to the breaker?

·
Puttin 4 Bird
5,842 Posts
just say you bought the house like that

unless you bought it new

·
"hi"
5 Posts
alright guys, well i got the wire ran, receptacle mounted, and i brought the wire out of a vent in the eve and fastened to the wall of the house and down to the breaker box. breaker installed, welder works like a charm.

When it comes round time to redo the roof, we'll then take the hole saw and drill a hole and run the wire down directly into the box.

Question, if some inspector or whatever ever came by for whatever reason....would we get in trouble for having it wired that way to the breaker?
lol

·
Lifted 2wd club
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You should get your scrawny ass over to maneuver yourself into the area where us full bodied MEN cant get into to drill a new hole. :crazy:

·
"hi"
5 Posts
You should get your scrawny ass over to maneuver yourself into the area where us full bodied MEN cant get into to drill a new hole. :crazy:
Ugh, tell me about it, i was laying down crushed into a corner of our garage yesterday pulling the millivolt for the garage door while trying not to fall thru the drywall.

I would have just went right into the back of the panel if its located on the garage as you would only need a ~foot of cable. I think that is what tyler did for his compressor if i recall correctly.

·
Lifted 2wd club
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha you are correct sir. If it was on the garage wall everything would be MUCH simpler but nope its clear on the other side of the house. But all is well now. :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts