GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently replaced my front cv axle half shafts, the boot on both slides had split and gear oil was oozing out. question is, do you need to have those in to just run the truck in 2 wheel drive under normal highway driving?
only thing i can think of is when they are installed, the 36mm nut on the end of the axle gets torqued fairly tight which puts inward pressure on the center of the front wheel bearing. any reason that's needed for the front wheel bearings to operate? could it be better not having the front cv axles?
other thing is i wanted to diagnose a front end hum which i think might be the autozone reman'd axles i put in. I put new front hubs in about 6000 miles ago so i doubt it's them.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
With no cv shafts in I've heard the wheel falls off. Most guys run the stubs through the hub bearing if anything.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
have to take cv shafts apart and run the stub shaft through the wheel bearing, or else wheel will fall off like blue 04 z71 said.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Does anyone or any company sales the out stub shaft to run through the hub bearing? Or do y'all just reuse y'all's old cv axles and have these just in case another cv axle blows on the trial?

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
just take thte cv axles apart and run the stub back in and tighten up. ran mine like that for 3 years

·
Registered
150 Posts
Alright cool, because my front diff is leaking like crazy. We replaced the seals and put black rtv around the seals. But the case is scraped up pretty bad inside where the seal seats in. This is the driver's side also. So now I am on a hunt for a front diff. Ill just run the stub axles for now so the front diff ain't spinning and leaking oil all the time.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I had trouble with aftermarket axle shaft seals leaking... Went to gm and got an oem... No more leak

As a matter of fact... I have trouble with aftermarket seals alot... Oem just seems to seal better

Just depends on how bad of a "burr" you have

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok i'm at a loss of how the axle shaft going through the bearing holds it on.
from what you say if i disassembled my half shaft so the splined piece can go through the hub and have the 36mm nut on it, well nothing is on the other side of the shaft so it would just pull outward through the hub. and the half shaft spins with the wheel bearing, what else would secure things from flying outward?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
there is a lip on the stub shaft that presses against the backside of the wheel bearing. you take it apart at the rubber boot and use the steel part with the threads on one end and the cup end on the other.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so if that is the case then if what people are saying is true about the axle shaft holding the wheel bearing from flying out, then it's the axle shaft connected to the front differential flange holding everything. if i disassemble the cv axles and run just the splined part through the front wheel bearing then how does that hold anything?

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Just do it. Believe us.

·
Missin the switches
3,045 Posts
so if that is the case then if what people are saying is true about the axle shaft holding the wheel bearing from flying out, then it's the axle shaft connected to the front differential flange holding everything. if i disassemble the cv axles and run just the splined part through the front wheel bearing then how does that hold anything?
the splined part goes through the wheel bearing..a nut holds it from the outside and a flange from the inside..the rest of it toward the diff you remove..

·
506 Posts
The stub CV is structural, exactly why 2wd hubs are solid. The bearing isn't retained by the cv.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You also need the stub shaft for the ABS system as it has the ABS tone ring on it. And yes the stub axle needs to be bolted in place in order to keep the wheel bearing in place.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i recently replaced my front cv axle half shafts, the boot on both slides had split and gear oil was oozing out. question is, do you need to have those in to just run the truck in 2 wheel drive under normal highway driving?
only thing i can think of is when they are installed, the 36mm nut on the end of the axle gets torqued fairly tight which puts inward pressure on the center of the front wheel bearing. any reason that's needed for the front wheel bearings to operate? could it be better not having the front cv axles?
other thing is i wanted to diagnose a front end hum which i think might be the autozone reman'd axles i put in. I put new front hubs in about 6000 miles ago so i doubt it's them.
Don't do it....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts