GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1 of the tranny cooling lines on my brothers 2000 GMC 2500 has rusted through and now is blowing fluid out. Can we replace the rusted section somehow, like with some compression fittings or something, or is better to replace the whole line. If we have to replace the whole can we get it out and back in without too much trouble? The new line would already be pre-bent right? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Replace line IMO. They are pretty cheap and come as a unit yes, pre-bent and everything.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Inlinetube.com

·
Registered
878 Posts
replace both. I replaced both in the car and truck in winter last year, one started to leak. Just do yourself a favor and do both lines.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, thanks. You can route the lines where they need to go being that they are already pre-bent? Looks like a tight fit in some spots.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I started from the back and made my way forward when I had to replace the one. You might have to put a little elbow into it to get it just right. Don't strip the fittings though, make sure they go all the way.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
OK, thanks. You can route the lines where they need to go being that they are already pre-bent? Looks like a tight fit in some spots.
Everything will be pre-bent and ready to install.

Not sure about 2500 but I think the 1500 lines are:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any tips on getting them off the tranny side? Looks pretty tight around the exhaust.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I have personally never done it. ChevroletTough has done it. Buy some spare clips as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've done it on a 1500HD and although it looks tight they are pretty straight forward to get off and back on. I got my lines from a dealer.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have personally never done it. ChevroletTough has done it. Buy some spare clips as well.
I actually didn't do my own lines. It was freaking cold out this winter, I paid to have them done. $60 later?????

Why am I thinking there was 3 lines on my truck?

They really aren't hard, just don't bust the ends.... that would be a bad time. :throw:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Use flare nut wrenches and spray with penetrating oil prior to removal. Let it saturate overnight. Get stainless steel replacements if you plan on keeping your rig for a while.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I actually didn't do my own lines. It was freaking cold out this winter, I paid to have them done. $60 later?????

Why am I thinking there was 3 lines on my truck?

They really aren't hard, just don't bust the ends.... that would be a bad time. :throw:
There are 3.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts