GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a fixer up truck and the wheels all have small rust spots but one of them has a big rust spot

Also it came with a dual tube rear bumper that was cromed at one time now its got alot of surface rust and you can tell it was ate away in some spots

What is the best way for me to go about painting the rims and bumper black and what should I use to paint them also what is the best way to prep them to be painted

·
Registered
311 Posts
Probably made of chromed mild steel. You need to get rid of the rust and it looks like the rust it pretty bad. So, sandblast them, do not use oily blasting media. If you sandblast and you still see rust (because it's deep rust), you need to use a rust conversion product next, like a phosphoric wash. Then, clean, prime and paint. The phosphoric wash, primer and paint can be bought at any professional paint store, like Finishmaster.

Keep in mind the the rust could be forming from the back side/inside also. Eventually, it's possible that the rust reappears at the surface and ends up lifting your paint.

·
kissin hands shakin babie
6,529 Posts
sandblast is your best bet, i would por 15 it, the prep stuff for that stops the rust from spreading anymore,

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
What's your goal? Do you merely want to make it not scream out to cops "pull me over, I am obviously a meth dealer" or do you want to make it look nice?

·
Registered
311 Posts
You don't need to etch if you sandblast and you will need to sandblast.

POR-15 is a good product and if you use it, you will not need the phosphoric wash. However, POR-15 is not UV resistant, so you will need to either buy POR's topcoat for the POR-15 product or paint the POR-15 with a paint that will adhere to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts