GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am getting the itch again to go to Silver Lake. I am planning on going out there at the end of June with the quad. I want to go before that with my truck but my question is I have 305/55R20 Pro Comp Extreme ATs. How are these going to do in the sand? Or should I put my 295/70R17 Nitto TGs on for the trip. And to be a photo whore he is some reference pictures.
102_0576.jpg

100_0437.jpg

·
12 sec lifted truck club
3,536 Posts
I would rock the 305s and lower the pressure down to around 8psi or so, you will walk everything in 2wd except the big hills.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool cus I really didn't want to take the 20s off if i didn't have to.

·
12 sec lifted truck club
3,536 Posts
You will be fine, the wider tires will be better in sand even if they dont balloon out as much as the others. Just make sure you listen to a veteran of silver lake 8psi, dont worry its not gonna come off the bead. 15 or 12 isnt gonna cut it man.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I would rock the 305s and lower the pressure down to around 8psi or so, you will walk everything in 2wd except the big hills.
100% agree, airing down makes a huge difference, i used to know a guy that had a tahoe with 35's bfg muds and a locker in the rear(his 4x4 was not working) and just by airing down he went everywhere he wanted to in dumont dunes.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
You will be fine, the wider tires will be better in sand even if they dont balloon out as much as the others. Just make sure you listen to a veteran of silver lake 8psi, dont worry its not gonna come off the bead. 15 or 12 isnt gonna cut it man.
I run 15 in mine when i'm at pismo pulling a trailer i wouldn't run 8 unless you do some climing :imoThe beach is nice and packed but the camp sites aren't ask Jon and Sam.

15 psi and didn't get stuck
pismo021.jpg

·
California Castaway
9,402 Posts
I think all the guys ran 10psi out back in pismo. I did 20psi but then again I stayed in 4WD the whole time :crazy:

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok that make me feel better. I would rather rock the 20s I figured it would be ok. But i knew yall would know.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I used to run 6 psi with no beads at Pismo all the time with zero problems. I ran 6 out back and 8 up front, and in 4x4 could literally go anywhere with both lockers. Airing down to anything more than 15 won't do too much, and you'll get wheel hop and it might end up breaking something on your truck if you push it too hard. At least if you lose a bead the worst thing that happens is you change a flat, you know? And honestly I went to Pismo 25+ times with zero problems whatsoever... you'll be fine man!

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea trust me i won't be doing anything crazy that is what i have the quad for

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
I used to run 6 psi with no beads at Pismo all the time with zero problems. I ran 6 out back and 8 up front, and in 4x4 could literally go anywhere with both lockers. Airing down to anything more than 15 won't do too much, and you'll get wheel hop and it might end up breaking something on your truck if you push it too hard. At least if you lose a bead the worst thing that happens is you change a flat, you know? And honestly I went to Pismo 25+ times with zero problems whatsoever... you'll be fine man!
I' ran zero psi in my old blazer in the rear w/ 44 boggers, in my old trucks and jeeps I used to run 5 bk 8 frt. Running 20s is different not much sidewall there, if he has a 8.5" or 9" rim i'd say he can go 10 no problem as long as the tire has a bulge in the sidewall. My setup I can't do that.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
I' ran zero psi in my old blazer in the rear w/ 44 boggers, in my old trucks and jeeps I used to run 5 bk 8 frt. Running 20s is different not much sidewall there, if he has a 8.5" or 9" rim i'd say he can go 10 no problem as long as the tire has a bulge in the sidewall. My setup I can't do that.
YellowBlazer-1.jpg

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Let me know when you go up! We could make a meet. If I'm still around I'll go!

·
Timbrage: Engage
5,649 Posts
I run 15 in mine when i'm at pismo pulling a trailer i wouldn't run 8 unless you do some climing :imoThe beach is nice and packed but the camp sites aren't ask Jon and Sam.

15 psi and didn't get stuck
pismo021.jpg
dude, that's wet sand, I could run 40psi and drive around in 2wd, the only time Silver Lake sand is like that is after a rain or when its covered in dew in the morning

listen to LiftedLQ9 :read:

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
dude, that's wet sand, I could run 40psi and drive around in 2wd, the only time Silver Lake sand is like that is after a rain or when its covered in dew in the morning

listen to LiftedLQ9 :read:
I dont camp in the water I pull up about 500ft. That shit is soft and dry I watch trucks all day getting stuck tring to get to camp.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts