GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to sand down my lower valance and bumper cap and grille shell. What grit sandpaper should i get to wetsand and smooth it out for paint? any other things i need to get it just right?

·
Registered
640 Posts
another question pertaining to this......before you prime do you gotta add both the duplicolor plastic adhesion component AND the flex agent or just one or the other?

·
Registered
482 Posts
wow. way too many steps in that paint process.

if you want the texture gone before you paint, then you can take it all the way smooth with 180 or so paper...but its gong to take forever.

if not, skip all that other bullshit, scuff the pieces with red scotchbrite. wash with warm soapy water, let dry, then rub with alcohol. tack rag it off, then spray ONE coat of bulldog type tie coat. if its smooth enough for you, spray the base 2-3 medium-wet coats. wait 45 mins or so, then 2-3 med-wet coats of clear.

if the surface isnt smooth enough after youve got the tie coat on, then you can cover with 3-4 coats of primer. then sand with 320, or 400, wash, dry, tack, spray base, clear, etc.

dont make more work for yourself. the more layers of paint you put on something, the more likely you are to have it fuck up.

·
Registered
482 Posts
another question pertaining to this......before you prime do you gotta add both the duplicolor plastic adhesion component AND the flex agent or just one or the other?
one or the other. preferable just the adhesion promoter. modern urethane paints are flexible enough to work just fine. keep it simple.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts