GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been sanding my dash by hand for the last week now using 220 grit sandpaper but im getting no results. ive only been working in one area (the left side of the dash) and still i see the same original texture. its a bit smoother, i'll say that, but still the texture is there. what am i doing wrong?

·
Registered
785 Posts
do a search for sanding dashes, or someone will chime in about your problem soon and help you, also might want to pm way2hi, or 03carbondogg they have done some paiting on there dashes

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Y2K pretty much sanded all of his by hand. I didn't. I'm lazy! lol I used a palm Dewalt orbital sander for everything on mine. I started with 220, 220 wet, 600, 600 wet. Get you an electric sander, it will make it a whole lot easier. You'll still be there for a good while though. I sanded a lot of my stuff in about 3 days.What part of the dash are you sanding? The dash bezel or the whole top part?

·
Registered
489 Posts
dabflyboy said:
ive been sanding my dash by hand for the last week now using 220 grit sandpaper but im getting no results. ive only been working in one area (the left side of the dash) and still i see the same original texture. its a bit smoother, i'll say that, but still the texture is there. what am i doing wrong?
I used a palm sander and an array of diff. grit..... Finally I just got tired of sanding after a week and 40 hours and took it all to the body shop. Now I just have to pick it up cause it is done ! :head:

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
Use 100 grit on there, it'll leave a really rough surface, then follow it up with 220 to smooth it out. I promise its smooth somewhere under there :haha:

If you have access to a palm sander that'll help alot, it'll blow the texture off of there fast :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
03Carbondogg said:
Y2K pretty much sanded all of his by hand. I didn't. I'm lazy! lol I used a palm Dewalt orbital sander for everything on mine. I started with 220, 220 wet, 600, 600 wet. Get you an electric sander, it will make it a whole lot easier. You'll still be there for a good while though. I sanded a lot of my stuff in about 3 days.What part of the dash are you sanding? The dash bezel or the whole top part?

im doing just the bezel at the moment. i know i'll be doing a whole lot more than that at some point but i want to get this part done first. thanks for the info, is there any type of electric sander i should get or does it really not matter?

·
Registered
785 Posts
thanks for the info on the grits of sandpaper to ues, I want to paint my pillars first then some other stuff maybe

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ntjeepster said:
I used a palm sander and an array of diff. grit..... Finally I just got tired of sanding after a week and 40 hours and took it all to the body shop. Now I just have to pick it up cause it is done ! :head:

how much for that body shop to do that work?

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
dabflyboy said:
im doing just the bezel at the moment. i know i'll be doing a whole lot more than that at some point but i want to get this part done first. thanks for the info, is there any type of electric sander i should get or does it really not matter?
Yeah the bezel and the main top dash is the hardest part to sand. Everything else is a softer plastic. It really doesn't matter what brand of sander you use. I already had my Dewalt so that's what I used. I think it run about $50 or so. Not too bad IMO. But yeah if you're doing it all by hand I would start at 100 grit then go up. But even if you do use a sander some you'll have to do by hand like the inside corners and such.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
awesome. i'll go and pick one up soon. thanks for the help all of you. y'all rock! man i dig these forums! :head:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok i went out and picked up a craftsman 1/4 sheet orbital motion sander at sears since they have a sale going on. i broke that puppy out and, man, what a difference! i used 100 grit and it worked nicely. i am such and idiot, i should have you all asked earlier.

ok another question....ive heard of doing wet sanding, like go from 220 to 220 wet and then 400 to 400 wet. im guessing i cant do that with this electric sander right? do i have to wet sand at all?

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
dabflyboy said:
ok i went out and picked up a craftsman 1/4 sheet orbital motion sander at sears since they have a sale going on. i broke that puppy out and, man, what a difference! i used 100 grit and it worked nicely. i am such and idiot, i should have you all asked earlier.

ok another question....ive heard of doing wet sanding, like go from 220 to 220 wet and then 400 to 400 wet. im guessing i cant do that with this electric sander right? do i have to wet sand at all?
Yeah I wet sanded with mine. Make sure you buy dry or wet sandpaper and get an empty spray bottle and fill it with water and spray the dash or whatever you're sanding. I started with 220, 220 wet and then went to 600, 600 wet.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I used 180 only on a D.A. to do my entire dash. If I was doin it by hand I'd start out with 80 and work my way up though. I'd just get a cheap electric one from Wal-Mart for like $20 though and use 80 grit on it(since the cheaper ones seem to spin slower) thats what I did on my friends dash and it's lookin good.

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
damn so y'all recommend a orbital sander to save some time? Will this work for my switch panels and engine compartment? :worship:

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Slammedchevy01 said:
damn so y'all recommend a orbital sander to save some time? Will this work for my switch panels and engine compartment? :worship:
I used my orbital on my switch panels. Don't see why it wouldn't work on some stuff in the engine compartment either.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts