GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, i am new to the forum! I have been hunting for information on installing a D60 under my '95 C2500 (8600# GVW).

First off, i'll tell you why i want to install a solid axle underneath this 2wd frame. It was a planned project between a dear family member and i, which unfortunately he is no longer capable of helping me do the project, so i have intentions on taking it on solo. Sentimental value is the key to this ol' GMT400.

I already have a D60, and an NV4500/NP208 combo that will be replacing my tired 4L80E.

I have the majority of the project planned in my head. However, right now i am only stuck on one thing. Hanging the springs to the 2wd 2500/3500 frame! I know the rear hanger's are the same as any other gmt 400 sas. However, because of the difference in frame design in the front, i have been trying to figure a work around of grafting the frame to resemble a 4wd frame. I know a few folks out there make full on 2wd sas kits, but they ask for deep pockets! Fabricating and welding is not an issue, but i want to have a solid setup, which is why im asking for any opinions or maybe some pictures of other users experiences with this.

I have seen a lot of luck on a few forum's using the 'main eye hanger' for a 76-86 CJ jeep.. however, this is on the 4wd trucks. I thought of just welding the hanger on an angle, but im assuming this would cause clearance issues between the spring and the lowest point of the drop in the frame up front.

I have also thought of using some steel stock, and welding some sort of arch together to say 'extend' the frame from the lowest point forward and end up with a flat surface up front to mount the hanger to. In this situation, the hanger would technically sit lower than a hanger on a 4wd truck, and im not sure if it would cause issue using a 52" spring.

If there is anything else i should expect to run into, i would sure appreciate your input!

I plan to start yanking the front end apart next week, to start mocking things up and playing around. I would much appreciate any advice or input. Oh, and sorry for the obnoxiously long post for being such a noob to the forum. I can assure you i will be an asset to the community in due time!

Here is ORD's explanation of the situation with a few picx http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/88-98SolidAxleConversion.htm#2WD vs. 4WD

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
Are you going to want to bolt hangers to the frame or weld?

If you don't have a problem welding you could do something similar to yours as I did to my wife's S10.
DSCN0256.jpg

DSCN0257.jpg

Picture022.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Picture025.jpg

Just square off the bottom of the frame and utilize the opportunity to incorporate a crossmember.

How tall do you plan the truck being?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is some clean work, and exactly some of the stuff i am looking for as ideas!

This is a DD, not shooting for a huge mud machine. Will initially run 35's. I would like to net ~ 4-5" lift. The stock 52" springs from a '73-'87 should get me there? I have read that a lot of people prefer setting up a swap bar, yet many dont mind the result without one.

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
Just look at my build. You will not be able to get 4-5" over stock (for 2wd). It will be tall on 35s unless you run 47" factory front springs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts