GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Throttle Jockey
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a solid axle swap on a 1999 Silverado RCSB. Picked up a set of Ford axles off of a 1976 Highboy w/ 4.10's. My questions are regarding drivetrain and steering. If you have done this please help me out and offer any other advice you may have. Forgot to mention, will be a leaf setup.

1. What was done to the front drive shaft since it is a slip yoke on the NP208? And what U-Joints were used front and rear?

2. What crossover steering set up did you do?

3. What was done to to elimante any ABS issues since there is no longer front speed sensors on the bearing hubs?

Thank you very much for any help given.

Also, the Super Lift 6'' kit will be sold minus rear blocks along with gm-10bolt with 4.56's, set of 8.25 front diff 4.56's and diff, and all stock front suspension/steering.

Mike

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
1. Depends on how you use the truck.

2. Home made, or ORD.

3. Take out the ABS brain, tape over the dash lights.

4. I really don't think you know what you're getting into.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Search for Dark Eternal, Bggrnchvy, Black4x4, and Cajun4x4. And read their threads They are LONG but have ALOT of information. Good luck.
EDIT you do not have a 208 in your truck and 208's were not front slip yoke only rear slip yoke.
You have a NP246 if you have auto track or a NP261 if you have a floor shifter. Both are slip yoke front and rear.

·
Throttle Jockey
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. Depends on how you use the truck.

2. Home made, or ORD.

3. Take out the ABS brain, tape over the dash lights.

4. I really don't think you know what you're getting into.
some offroad, not too much anymore.

Ummm, PCM controlls abs, can't take that out.

Tape on the dash....thats not gonna happen.

·
Joseph K
2,536 Posts

As far as the tape over the abs goes, he's talking about taking out the cluster, opening it up, and taping over the light that illuminates the ABS. Not just sticking tape on the lens.

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts

Why are you SASing?

see post above this one.

·
Throttle Jockey
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Search for Dark Eternal, Bggrnchvy, Black4x4, and Cajun4x4. And read their threads They are LONG but have ALOT of information. Good luck.
EDIT you do not have a 208 in your truck and 208's were not front slip yoke only rear slip yoke.
You have a NP246 if you have auto track or a NP261 if you have a floor shifter. Both are slip yoke front and rear.
Thanks! And thanks again on the T-case.

·
Throttle Jockey
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SASing because IFS is weak. I want something that when it does go in the woods, it will hold up. This is not a DD so i am wanting to have some fun with it.

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
SASing because IFS is weak. I want something that when it does go in the woods, it will hold up. This is not a DD so i am wanting to have some fun with it.
Biggest tires you'll ever plan on running?

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
Heres the bitter sweet, unpopular, not cool truth NOBODY likes to talk about.

IFS will likely hold up to 4-wheeling JUST FINE up to 35s/37s... even better if its not a DDer. The ONLY way you're going to gain ANYTHING by SASing, is if you do one of the following during the swap: Hi-pinion axle, 1-ton front, or both.

If you arent doing any of the above, you're waisting time unless its a show truck. A low pinion D44 will cause just as many problems as IFS. A low pinion D60 can be made to work very well, if its got king pins, disc brakes, and open knuckles with a 35 spline diff.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Search for Ferriday. Look at our wheeling trips. 2 guys wheel IFS one on 35" boggers and antoher on 38.5" boggers. They hold up. IFS is not as weak as you guys think. You take a stock SFA i bet I can break it too if I run big tires like on IFS.

Do you have wheeling experience? I do not mean goin in 4x4 down the hunting camp road.

·
Throttle Jockey
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not going huge on anything like some other people do. Gonna run my 35's with a total of only 7 inches of lift.

Like I said, not a DD so i am going to have some fun with it.

I understand what you guys are saying and I appriciate your concern and advice. I only picked up the axles so far because I got a good price on them. I am asking questions and doing as much research as possible to see what this will all intail.

Any more input neg or positive is greatly appriciated.

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
Not going huge on anything like some other people do. Gonna run my 35's with a total of only 7 inches of lift.

Like I said, not a DD so i am going to have some fun with it.

I understand what you guys are saying and I appriciate your concern and advice. I only picked up the axles so far because I got a good price on them. I am asking questions and doing as much research as possible to see what this will all intail.

Any more input neg or positive is greatly appriciated.
If you're ONLY gonna run 35s, then get cut outs, a rear detroit, gears, run flat angles and wheel the piss out of it. It will be much more fun and reliable then cluster fucking a low pinion junk axle into the front of it.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
that axle isnt any stronger than ifs. then 10 bolt will fuck you long before ifs. if you have a hard on to do this you need a hp 60 a 14 bolt ff and about ten grand

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Damn hella people are SFA there truck right now, What kind of truck is this to NBS or OBS and 1500 or 2500

Oh yea dont do it big waste of MONEY :D

·
Throttle Jockey
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
10 Bolt isn't too bad, its that Grenade 80 to worry about. 14 bolt would be nice tho.

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
If you're ONLY gonna run 35s, then get cut outs, a rear detroit, gears, run flat angles and wheel the piss out of it. It will be much more fun and reliable then cluster fucking a low pinion junk axle into the front of it.
10 Bolt isn't too bad, its that Grenade 80 to worry about. 14 bolt would be nice tho.
:think:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts