GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll have a set of 89 dodge 3/4 springs to use for the front, I've read that is worth 4" of lift, because of the Sky kit having a 6" bracket, I want 6" of springs. Can i get away with an add-a-leaf to accomplish this?

I'm going to have the run 10"-11" lift in the rear, what the best way to do this? shackle flip and 6" springs or a set of 10" springs? this truck is twice as likely to pull a trailer than it is go off roading.

the rear end and drive shaft is out right now, next up is taking the box off (how many bolts for a long bed? it's been a long time). just trying to see if I should cut off the rear hanger and but on a shackle flip instead.

Pics to follow tomorrow or saturday.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I'll have a set of 89 dodge 3/4 springs to use for the front, I've read that is worth 4" of lift, because of the Sky kit having a 6" bracket, I want 6" of springs. Can i get away with an add-a-leaf to accomplish this?

I'm going to have the run 10"-11" lift in the rear, what the best way to do this? shackle flip and 6" springs or a set of 10" springs? this truck is twice as likely to pull a trailer than it is go off roading.

the rear end and drive shaft is out right now, next up is taking the box off (how many bolts for a long bed? it's been a long time). just trying to see if I should cut off the rear hanger and but on a shackle flip instead.

Pics to follow tomorrow or saturday.

I'm not too familiar with Dodge springs, perhaps Cajun or someone else can fill you in....

I'd stay away from tall lift springs, they have a higher spring rate so your ride will suffer, as will articulation. What size tire are you wanting to run? My K5 has a shackle flip(stock springs) and 0-rate and clears 36s with ease.

·
The Green Seal
3,721 Posts
no one realy knows as of yet what dodge springs will net lift wise, put them on with a 0rate or w/e and see how it sits, and if you want a lil more lift after that look into a AAL,

6" springs with a shackle flip > 10" springs any day :imo

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Casey made a good point, Taller springs are stiffer and will articulate way less than low lift springs and a shackle flip

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Casey made a good point, Taller springs are stiffer and will articulate way less than low lift springs and a shackle flip
yeah, I knew that, but what I'm saying is I don't offroad, I'm putting a cummins in it with the getrag 5 speed, I'll pull a trailer or enter a truck pull with it though, whats why I wasn't sure if I wanted the taller "harsher" springs.

·
4,725 Posts
According to my calculations, dodge rear springs will add 3-5" of lift. They will also add or reduce 4" of wheelbase. If you want a cummins, go ahead with an AAL.
With you wanting more towing ability, I would probably lean towards a 10" pack rather than a shackle flip and 6" springs.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Seeing what law said. The setup that is stock with shackle up method is ideal for towing...... shackle flip is ideal for articulation.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool, those were the answers I was looking for, I'll still probably pick whichever is cheaper, but if they are about the same I'll go with the 10" springs.

Law, the axle should be moved 4" forward, which should get the axle pretty close to dead center wheel well.

·
The Green Seal
3,721 Posts
your axle will sit the same in the wheel well as the truck pictured below

80e9001.jpg

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Lindsay what are the measured dimension on the Dodge rear spring and what are the measured dimensions on a K5 52" spring in terms of arch without weight? Im thinking that the dodge spring is probably in the area of a 400in/lb spring whereas stock 52's IIRC are around a 200in/lb spring, meaning that a dodge spring will settle 1/2 as much as a K5 52" spring would given the same load which would make sense because of the placement of the springs in their stock vehicles.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I know it's all pretty close, and nothing works in the real world exactly the same as it does on paper, but spring rate and "power" needed to compress springs is related by the equation P=(1/2)K(s^2).

So by my calculations, using 1,000lbs as the average downward force on the spring, a Dodge spring(assuming 400in/lb rate) would sag approx 2.23 inches...

While a K5 spring(assuming the said 200in/lb rate) would sag aprrox 3.16 inches.

Subtle difference, and I'm not even sure if those are right, but I was bored and we dealt with springs a few weeks back in physics so I figured I'd give it a shot.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
uploading pics on photobucket right now, hopefully they'll be done before I leave for work.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sasswap002.jpg

sasswap012.jpg

sasswap014.jpg

sasswap016.jpg

·
4,725 Posts
Without weight, my dodge set is around 8-9". With weight I believe Rough Country's calculation is ~6"

This was comparing a RC lift dodge spring set to the chart of different K5 lift springs I believe was on CK5.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
things are a slow do to the air compressor not being hooked up, here is an overall of my shop, and other projects.
sasswap007.jpg

sasswap004.jpg

sasswap005.jpg

sasswap010.jpg

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
by this weekend, all IFS should be off, but all next week (on my days off) I'll be working on the Green Camaro.....so the truck will have to wait some more :bawl:

·
The Green Seal
3,721 Posts
nice farmall :rockit:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts