GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Stock Sucks!
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM Fullsize..

take a moment to read my story, and offer any help or advice you can.

2 weeks ago my transmission case cracked at the servo housing, and was spraying fluid. I immediately had it towed to my home.

I began searching for a reman transmission and wanted something with a little extra than OEM because of my lift, and 35's. I found a guy near home that was very friendly, willing to talk about what I wanted in a trans, what I use my truck for, etc.

we agreed on a beast sunshell, billet shift servos, a totally gone through and reman'd 4l60e, as well as high energy frictions, etc etc for 700$ exchange.

A relative of mine is a master tech at a GM dealer so I chose to have him install my "new" transmission. we both agreed on 350$ labor with my help and me buying all the parts.

The transmission guru was very hard to communicate with but he did deliver me the said transmission. it looked clean, he provided me with 1 year warranty, but told me I shouldn't have any problems and "shit happens" I paid him untaxed.

I spent 140$ on synthetic dextron3 as well as T case fluid, gasket, etc. the install went great everything bolted up nicely.

we put in 4 quarts and started my truck. we ran it through the gears slowly and added 3 more quarts. the dipstick was maxed and even after 25 minutes of running, shifting gears, revving the engine etc, the truck would not move. which tells me the pump is not pulling in the fluid because it should take 12qts easy empty.

I called the guy and he talked in circles asking me 20 questions about the install and filling, and then said well the pump must be bad then, and blamed his parts supplier saying they sold him a faulty pump. shouldn't that have been checked before it was put together??

I told him okay, so get another pump out here and pay the tech to UNINSTALL the transmission again and replace the pump.

fair? right? he talked in circles again and said he shouldn't have to pay labor when it wasn't his fault.

but I should because it's my fault?
I payed for a reman built transmission. and this whole deal was shady. I have no reason to not believe him, but I have no bias to believe him so far either.

what should I do? let him replace the pump and take him to court for the labor, fluid etc? and hope the rest of the trans is what he says it is?

or demand my core back, and my money back as well as fluid etc?

I'm a recovering college student, burned my savings to pay for this trans and the install.. now I'm left without my truck for another week at least, with no money to pay for anything.

any ideas guys? I feel like giving up. :(

·
Stock Sucks!
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
offer your condolences as well incase I lose my mind in this process, or end up in jail for strangling this loser.

·
Stock Sucks!
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he now says: (without me threatening him or saying anything yet)

that he wants the trans back and he will refund me my money as well as my old transmission.

but pay for no labor.

·
Yake is a Fgt
3,582 Posts
Seems like it really was just a bad part. Shitty luck

·
Stock Sucks!
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know legality of if I'm legally responsible to pay for the labor a 2nd time, or if this clown is?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Unfortunately you're stuck with paying the removal/installation labor and fluids. A court will tell you the same thing. His warranty covers the transmission parts only. He will remove and replace any parts in the transmission free of charge, but if it requires the transmission coming out of the truck it is on you.

A guy came on here a while back bitching about rockauto that he bought an ac compressor from them, paid to have it installed and charged etc, and than it failed a few days later or something. He wanted rockauto to pay for the labor to remove/replace the compressor plus the freon for the system. They told him the same thing, you buy just a part, warranty covers parts, not labor.

If you wanted a warranty on parts and labor, you go to a shop and have them buy the parts(in your case transmission) and install them. Anytime you bring your own parts to have installed there is no warranty on labor. Sometimes trying to save a few bucks like that fucks you. Other times, it works out.

Sucks that this happened, but the best thing you can do is continue to be friendly towards the guy and hopefully resolve the issue together. Don't waste your time going to court, and don't threaten him with court, because you will lose.

·
Respect mah authoritah!
11,152 Posts
Unfortunately you're stuck with paying the removal/installation labor and fluids. A court will tell you the same thing. His warranty covers the transmission parts only. He will remove and replace any parts in the transmission free of charge, but if it requires the transmission coming out of the truck it is on you.

A guy came on here a while back bitching about rockauto that he bought an ac compressor from them, paid to have it installed and charged etc, and than it failed a few days later or something. He wanted rockauto to pay for the labor to remove/replace the compressor plus the freon for the system. They told him the same thing, you buy just a part, warranty covers parts, not labor.

If you wanted a warranty on parts and labor, you go to a shop and have them buy the parts(in your case transmission) and install them. Anytime you bring your own parts to have installed there is no warranty on labor. Sometimes trying to save a few bucks like that fucks you. Other times, it works out.

Sucks that this happened, but the best thing you can do is continue to be friendly towards the guy and hopefully resolve the issue together. Don't waste your time going to court, and don't threaten him with court, because you will lose.
Yep, which is why anything I have a shadow of a doubt on I take to my mechanic. Easier to pay a little more and know that if something happens I can take it back to him and he'll make it right.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I would think that your relative would look at the situation you are in and waive the charges the second time beins you paid him once

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Stock Sucks!
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: My relative looked it over all day today, tore out the valve body. the manual valve body selector was unhooked from the shaft. problem solved. the pump is working fine just can't pump anywhere because the valve was shut!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts

^^^^ this. Also, one of the main reasons many trans shops don't do "carry outs"

Mr. 960

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Can I ask why you are using Dex III? NBS 4L60E should be Dex IV.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts