GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
ROB
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here have a obdII scanner? Which one do you have? How do you like it? Anyone have any recommendations?

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
if you have an iphone there is an app for it.

·
Where's the van?!?!?!
636 Posts

·
Where's the van?!?!?!
636 Posts

·
Where's the van?!?!?!
636 Posts
you're easily looking at over a grand.

If you stick to DTC's (check engine lights) there's a lot of scanners/code readers that are sufficient (the Actron posted above is the best bang for the buck).

When you want to start reading other modules like the BCM for airbag codes, or ABS or drivetrain codes.... the price shoots up dramatically.

Unless someone knows of some GM specific tools for such codes... i haven't found any. But i also didn't look too hard since i have access to a shop with a Snap-On Modus that'll read all of that.

·
Where's the van?!?!?!
636 Posts

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
If you just want to read and clear DTCs, a $40 unit will do the job. Harbor Freight or eBay. I've got one and it works fine, tells me why my check engine light is on and allows me to clear it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the Auto X-Ray 6000, and I recently upgraded it to the CAN system also. So it will check ALL OBD I, OBD II, CAN GM, FORD, DODGE, and a couple other's too plus it hooks to the PC. It only does DTC's, but I just bought the new Actron ABS code reader from Summit Racing for $229! So I think that one that sk1er18 showed a link for is a really good price, I wish I would have seen that before I went and spent $750 for the two units that I mentioned.

·
GMC Owner
1,114 Posts
I'll sell you the scanner from the shop that I work at. First $20,000 takes it...hahaha

Those things can get PRICEY!!

·
The Treasure State
288 Posts
TECH2. The tool of GM. Be ready to bend over for it though. I think they go for around 3-4k. But you can talk to everything GM does even the little computers like the window switches in the doors of the 03+ trucks.:crazy: If its a GM part and its got a computer, the TECH2 will talk to it.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Equus 3130

Very handy, advanced code reading so I can actually know what I'm looking at, o2 and EGR data so I can tell if the emmissions are working like they should, live streaming data from available sensors which I can store and print. It won't give you advanced tech funtions to modify anything, but just being able to know several things the engine does is very helpful.

Honestly it makes my life much easier in general.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Equus 3130

Very handy, advanced code reading so I can actually know what I'm looking at, o2 and EGR data so I can tell if the emmissions are working like they should, live streaming data from available sensors which I can store and print. It won't give you advanced tech funtions to modify anything, but just being able to know several things the engine does is very helpful.

Thats the one i have, I like it alot, I broke my screen so right now i can only see the codes of what pops up lol, But its a good unit.

·
00Silverado
2,104 Posts
Equus 3130

I also have this one and I cant tell you how many times this thing has sold jobs for me. Great product.

·
GMC Owner
1,114 Posts
Equus 3130

Yah these are pretty good. I've sold quite a few of them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts