GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to do the DIC swap on my truck but it gets kinda pricey. New steering wheel, etc etc and just doesn't seem worth my time. I started searching different scan tools and what not that feed out live data through the OBDII port. After reading reviews on about 4-5 different scanners I came across the ScanGaugeII. Here's some info on it:

http://www.scangauge.com/products/

Now I've done a decent amount of homework on all the different ones and this seems to be the best bang for the buck. What I'm curious about is if anyone else has ever used one and how user friendly was it? I'm pretty shitty with electronics but from what I hear through online reviews, this one's pretty easy.

Thoughts or actual experience with this scanner?

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
a bunch of the s10 guys i am friends with have em and the kid who bought my wrx has one in it. its really damn cool. i have thought about getting one as well and throwing it up in the overhead console thing. they work really well and the price isnt bad for everything you get

·
kissin hands shakin babie
6,529 Posts
my friend has one on his 7.3 power stroke, she says its easy and he will put it in my truck sometime

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats exactly what I wanted to hear. I was a little worried about the user friendly part. There's so many options on it and only 4 buttons. Not to mention you can download over 30 different gauges from what I hear instead of just the stock 12 it comes with. I read that in one article and have yet to find more info on that. Currently going price for them is $159.99 off of Amazon or anywhere else really other then the company.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
heck for 160 bucks i would think about picking one up.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As soon as I get my truck working right, I'll be picking one up for sure

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
I love my ScanGauge II.

I'm pretty sure it comes with more than 12 gauges by default, and you don't download additional ones, you create them by entering OBDII PIDs and other stuff as part of an XGauge code. XGauge programming is kinda tricky but I've made a bunch of XGauge codes for transmission and torque converter data.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love my ScanGauge II.

I'm pretty sure it comes with more than 12 gauges by default, and you don't download additional ones, you create them by entering OBDII PIDs and other stuff as part of an XGauge code. XGauge programming is kinda tricky but I've made a bunch of XGauge codes for transmission and torque converter data.

Can you elaborate on making these codes? What does it entitle?

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have an Aeroforce Interceptor, love it!
I definitely looked in to them...but the price tag killed it. It's a fucking sweet setup as I was thinking of doing some sort of gauge setup, but for the price it's a little much.

·
In memoriam...
3,860 Posts
I know they're really popular with the hypermiler/Prius folks.

I've read several threads about them on those boards, and they seem to be pretty unanimous that the SCII is an easy hook-up, a solid investment, accurate, and pretty good quality.

My only beef with the SCII is it'd be nice if they could design it so it looks a bit more OEM-like, rather than looking like something you'd pick up a the local Pep Boys.

...imo

·
Vendor
3,605 Posts
I hear ya, they are pricey, but I needed something for my transmission temp.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hear ya, they are pricey, but I needed something for my transmission temp.
A generic trans temp gauge just wasn't cool enough? :crazy: If I had the money to spend, I'd probably pick one up. I think it's a very sick setup and leaves you with a lot more places to mount it as well. You can also achieve a cleaner look with one.... Still trying to figure out where I would mount the ScanGauge

·
Vendor
3,605 Posts
Well I watch knock and some other things on there too, it sits below my DM-100.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:boobs:

But you need to get a full pillar badly :crazy:

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Vendor
3,605 Posts
Meh, I will be driving the TBSS more once the blower goes on there anyways :crazy:

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don't neglect the hoe....

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
Jenna, I can (and if I wanted to, would) get the same data from my SGII. I do watch my trans temp with it, but I don't watch knock (no need, I haven't done any engine mods or tuning).

shsportsfan12, XGauge coding is somewhat difficult to learn, and a bit easier once you get the concepts.

There are four codes you make for each XGauge. They are labeled TXD, RXF, RXD, and MTH. TXD is the query that the SGII sends. The SGII watches the bus and searches for what you enter in RXF. When that comes through, it uses RXD to determine the position where the data you want starts and the length of the data. Then it uses MTH to manipulate the numbers it received so they will be displayed the way you want.

The TXD is made from the PID of the data you want and some stuff that is generally the same in all codes for your vehicle. I forgot exactly how the rest is put together, but I wrote it all up and can post it all here if you want. There is documentation but I had trouble understanding the docs.
XGauge page: http://scangauge.com/support/xgauge.shtml
Sample XGauges: http://scangauge.com/support/pdfs/XGAUGE.pdf
XGauge coding manual: http://www.scangauge.com/support/pdfs/XGaugeCoding.pdf

What year is your truck? If it's VPW then my codes will work. I think if it's CAN-bus then they only need a minor change.

Here's one code I use:
Transmission Pressure: "TP"
TXD: 6C10F122199D01
RXF: 04620519069D
RXD: 3008
MTH: 000100010000

I can post more.

Here's an incomplete list of PIDs:
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1474

I wish I could find some Volkswagen CAN-bus PIDs.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts