GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of talk about tire dressings lately and I though it would be important to illustrate the various finishes you can achieve with SCG Pro Tire Dressing & Conditioner. For todays test I used it at 3 different diliutions:

• Full strength right out of the bottle
  • 1:1 dilution (50% water, 50% product)
  • 2:1 dilution (66.67% water, 33.33% product)

Obviously the dilutions are nearly infinite, but I find these to be the 3 most common ways to use the product as they fit the glossy, medium satin, and matte criteria that various users might be looking for.

The pallet for this test is a take off BMW wheel from a friend. First, because no one wants to look at a dirty wheel I cleaned both the wheel and the tire thoroughly and dried them to make sure there was no additional water that would mess with my results.

The tire was rather dry and chalky looking given the lack of dressing or protection on the surface:
_DSC0303_zpsee0fc781.jpg

To keep track of what dilution was applied where I segmented the tire into 3 roughly equal sizes using tape and marked my zones for each dilution:
_DSC0304_zps123e1582.jpg

RESULTS - FULL STRENGTH
Straight out of the bottle TDC produces a nice, rich gloss, but isn't greasy or oily. The shine isn't over the top glossy like some silicone laden products, but it is glossy enough that it puts a little glisten to the surface of the rubber.
_DSC0325_zpsd37a5938.jpg

_DSC0331_zpsf55c557a.jpg

RESULTS - 1:1 DILUTION
The 50/50 mixture is probably what I see people reaching for the most. It still produces a good amount of gloss and is thin enough to be sprayed on. This makes it ideal for use on tires with aggressive or complex sidewalls. The finish is more satin and just like the full strength application is dry to the touch within moments and won't sling.
_DSC0326_zpsca0bd95a.jpg

_DSC0333_zpsa6685549.jpg

RESULTS - 2:1 DILUTION
This is the perfect solution for someone who likes their tires to be dressed, but just wants a natural rubber look. Compared to the undressed sections its clear that there is protection on the surface and the rubber is darker, but the tire looks nice and matte. This same dilution works well on matte finish wheels to maintain an even look without gloss.
_DSC0327_zpsdcb3e9c6.jpg

_DSC0332_zps57ec5106.jpg

·
Detailing Addict
1,935 Posts
Nice comparison Dylan, I will be ordering some to try as soon as I run out of my other "said" product. 50/50 for the win imo!

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3 way comparison shot to help illustrate the differences between each dilution:

TDC_2_Ways_zps72f2ba65.gif

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
1:1 looks perfect...2:1 looks a lil spotty and 1:1 hides that extremely well...straight up for those customers that prefer extra shine :hmm:

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think 2:1 would look better on tires that hadn't been curbed to death first, LOL

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,680 Posts
So with it diluted does it affect how long it will hold up? Or does the diluted product hold up better to day to day use?

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anytime you reduce the amount of the actual chemical in the mixture you're reducing all the properties of the original mixture. So shine and durability are reduced with each dilution accordingly - that being said our 1:1 mixture has been tested and outlasts the full strength application of other products in the category, so take that for what its worth.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,680 Posts
I figured that much but thanks for clearing that up. I hate glossy tires but want something that lasts.

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
Damn I need this shit. I put some vrt on my tires the other day. It seems like it's already gone. So what is the realistic life expectancy of 100% tire dressing?

·
Fender Measurements?
21,152 Posts
Damn I need this shit. I put some vrt on my tires the other day. It seems like it's already gone. So what is the realistic life expectancy of 100% tire dressing?
I've gone 3 washes in a month and a half and haven't reapplied. I'll reapply this next wash as it's finally looking dry.

·
This place sucks dicks
4,938 Posts
RESULTS - FULL STRENGTH
Straight out of the bottle TDC produces a nice, rich gloss, but isn't greasy or oily. The shine isn't over the top glossy like some silicone laden products, but it is glossy enough that it puts a little glisten to the surface of the rubber.
Feeling? Or Looking?

I personally love this tire shine. 2 weeks of driving and tires still look a bit glossy. But they definitely feel greasy.

·
This place sucks dicks
4,938 Posts
I don't mean to knock the product. So don't get me wrong. Its not like I go around rubbing my hands on the tires anyways.

I love the fact its lasted this long AND that it does not sling itself all over my paint.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Great comparison. I personally like it straight out of the bottle. That suits my "glossy needs" and to be honest… this product flat out works! My tires are so easy to clean now. We've had quite a bit of rain lately and with 2 washes my tires still look really good and the product is still holding up with no problem.

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't mean to knock the product. So don't get me wrong. Its not like I go around rubbing my hands on the tires anyways.

I love the fact its lasted this long AND that it does not sling itself all over my paint.
Not at all... just curious b/c I don't get (and it shouldnt have) a greasy feel after its applied.

·
This place sucks dicks
4,938 Posts
Not at all... just curious b/c I don't get (and it shouldnt have) a greasy feel after its applied.
This application was straight out of the bottle on a brand new set of tires.

I will try it on a different set, some older tires that are brown. I will degrease said tires and clean them with APC. Then let dry and apply.

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Keep me posted. Always good to hear about different experiences with the products. Can't improve or tweak them without outside input and no matter how much testing I do I can't recreate every single scenario so feedback like this is critical.

Never going to try to use the "you used it wrong" response. If theres room to improve something I'll do my best to improve it.

·
This place sucks dicks
4,938 Posts
No prob. I mean, Im not sure how I could've used it wrong. Brand new bottle, brand new foam applicator. Lightly shook bottle. Put on clean tires...........

If anyone complains about the greasy feel - then tell them to keep their hands off the tires :roflsquared:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts